DayQuil Cold and Flu is a multi-purpose medication used to treat several symptoms of the cold and flu. Find out if it's right for you and your symptoms.
Active Ingredients (in each 15 ml tablespoon):
Acetaminophen 325mg (pain reliever/fever reducer)
Dextromethorphan HBr 10mg (cough suppressant)
Phenylephrine HCl 5mg (nasal decongestant)
Adults and Children over age 12 – 2 Tbsp (30ml) every 4 hours, do not exceed 6 doses in 24 hours
Children ages 6 to 12 – 1 Tbsp (15ml) every 4 hours, Do not exceed 5 doses in 24 hours
Children under age 6 – Ask a doctor
Temporarily relieves cold and flu symptoms including:
- Nasal congestion
- Sore Throat
- Minor Aches and Pains
Vicks© does not report any side effects for this medication.
May cause liver damage in people who drink more than three alcoholic beverages a day. Do not take with other medications containing acetaminophen. Too much acetaminophen may cause liver damage, even in non-drinkers.
Do not take this medication if you are taking a medication known as an MAOI (used to treat depression, psychiatric or emotional disorders and Parkinson’s disease) or have taken one in the last two weeks.
Ask a Doctor Before Use:
- If you have heart disease or high blood pressure
- If you have thyroid disease
- If you have diabetes
- If you have trouble urinating due to an enlarged prostrate
- If you have a cough that produces a lot of mucous or is caused by asthma, COPD, smoking or emphysema
- If you are on a sodium-restricted diet – this medication contains 71mg of sodium per Tbsp
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding
Stop taking DayQuil and ask a doctor if you experience:
- Nervousness, dizziness or sleeplessness
- Symptoms that get worse or last more than 5 days in children or 7 days in adults
- Fever that gets worse or lasts more than 3 days
- Redness or swelling
- Cough that comes back with a headache that lasts or a rash
- New symptoms
- Sore throat that occurs with a fever, headache, rash, nausea, vomiting or lasts longer than 2 days
"Vicks DayQuil Cold/Flu Relief." Vicks. 2006. Proctor & Gamble. 20 Nov 2006 <http://www.vicks.com/2.1_DayQuil.php>.