Robitussin DM is an over-the-counter cough suppressant and expectorant. Robitussin DM helps control your cough and thin secretions so the cough is more productive.
Active Ingredients (in each 5ml teaspoon):
Dextromethorphan HBr 10mg (cough suppressant)
Guafenisen 100mg (expectorant)
Adults 12 and older - Two teaspoons every four hours as needed for cough. Do not take more than six doses in 24 hours.
Children ages six to 12 - One teaspoon every four hours. Do not take more than six doses in 24 hours.
Children ages two to six - One half (1/2) teaspoon every four hours. Do not take more than six doses in 24 hours.
Children under age two - Ask your doctor.
Uses for Robitussin DM:
Temporary relief of cough due to throat irritation from:
- Common Cold
- Inhaled Irritants
Helps loosen phlegm (mucous) and thins bronchial secretions to make cough more productive.
Side Effects of Robitussin DM:
- Drowsiness or dizziness
- Hives or skin rash
- Nausea, stomach pain or vomiting
Rare but serious side effects that should be reported to your doctor immediately:
- Excitement, nervousness or restlessness
- Severe nausea and vomiting
- Slurred speech
- Seizures or convulsions - in children
- Shakey movements - in children
- Slow or troubled breathing - in children
- Do not use this medication if you are taking an MAOI (medication for depression, psychiatric, emotional conditions or Parkinson's disease) or for two weeks after stopping an MAOI.
Ask a Doctor Before Use:
- If you have a chronic cough that is caused by asthma, smoking or emphysema
- If you have a cough that produces a lot of mucous
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding
Stop use and ask doctor if:
- Pain or cough worsens or lasts more than seven days
- Cough occurs with fever, headache or rash won't go away
"Robitussin Cough Product Labeling." Wyeth Consumer Healthcare 2007. 11 May 2007.