Active Ingredients (in each 5ml tablespoon):
Dextromethorphan polistirex, equivalent to 30mg Dextromethorphan HBr (cough suppressant)
Adults 12 and older - Two teaspoons every 12 hours as needed for cough. Do not take more than 4 teaspoons in 24 hours.
Children ages 6 to 12 - One teaspoon every 12 hours. Do not take more than 2 teaspoons in 24 hours.
Children ages 2 to 6 - One half (1/2) teaspoon every 12 hours. Do not take more than 1 teaspoon in 24 hours.
Children under age 2 - Ask a doctor.
Uses for Delsym:
Temporary relief of cough from:
- Common Cold
- Inhaled Irritants
Side Effects of Delsym:
- Drowsiness or dizziness
- Feeling tired or fatigue
- Nausea, stomach pain or vomiting
- Skin Rash
Rare but serious side effects that should be reported to your doctor immediately:
- Excitement, nervousness or restlessness
- Severe nausea and vomiting
- Slurred speech
- Seizures or convulsions - in children
- Shakey movements - in children
- Slow or troubled breathing - in children
Do not use this medication if you are taking an MAOI (medication for depression, psychiatric, emotional conditions or Parkinson's disease) or for two weeks after stopping an MAOI.
Ask a Doctor Before Use:
- If you have a chronic cough that is caused by asthma, smoking or emphysema
- If you have a cough that produces a lot of mucous
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding
Stop Use and Ask a Doctor if:
- Pain or cough worsens or lasts more than 7 days
- Cough occurs with fever, headache or rash won't go away
Other Delsym Information:
Source: "Delsym Product Labeling (Drug Facts)." Delsym Cough Medicine. 2007. Adams Respiratory Therapeutics. 11 Feb 2007.
"Delsym Product Labeling (Drug Facts)." Delsym Cough Medicine. 2007. Adams Respiratory Therapeutics. 11 Feb 2007.