Delsym is an over the counter cough medicine. It is a cough suppressant, which means it helps to stop you from coughing. Delsym is the only over the counter cough medicine that lasts for 12 hours.
Active Ingredients (in each 5ml tablespoon):
Dextromethorphan polistirex, equivalent to 30mg Dextromethorphan HBr (cough suppressant)
Adults 12 and older - Two teaspoons every 12 hours as needed for cough. Do not take more than 4 teaspoons in 24 hours.
Children ages 6 to 12 - One teaspoon every 12 hours. Do not take more than 2 teaspoons in 24 hours.
Children ages 2 to 6 - One half (1/2) teaspoon every 12 hours. Do not take more than 1 teaspoon in 24 hours.
Children under age 2 - Ask a doctor.
Uses for Delsym:
Temporary relief of cough from:
- Common Cold
- Inhaled Irritants
Side Effects of Delsym:
- Drowsiness or dizziness
- Feeling tired or fatigue
- Nausea, stomach pain or vomiting
- Skin Rash
Rare but serious side effects that should be reported to your doctor immediately:
- Excitement, nervousness or restlessness
- Severe nausea and vomiting
- Slurred speech
- Seizures or convulsions - in children
- Shakey movements - in children
- Slow or troubled breathing - in children
Do not use this medication if you are taking an MAOI (medication for depression, psychiatric, emotional conditions or Parkinson's disease) or for two weeks after stopping an MAOI.
Ask a Doctor Before Use:
- If you have a chronic cough that is caused by asthma, smoking or emphysema
- If you have a cough that produces a lot of mucous
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding
Stop Use and Ask a Doctor if:
- Pain or cough worsens or lasts more than 7 days
- Cough occurs with fever, headache or rash won't go away
"Delsym Product Labeling (Drug Facts)." Delsym Cough Medicine. 2007. Adams Respiratory Therapeutics. 11 Feb 2007.