1. Health
Kristina Duda, R.N.

A Terrible Stomach Flu

By May 15, 2014

If you have dealt with vomiting, diarrhea, nausea and/or fever recently (or ever), you know how awful stomach bugs can be. They are always circulating in the community and outbreaks can sicken many people all at once. They typically highly contagious as well, making their way through families at a rapid pace.

Of course, the stomach flu is not related to the flu (influenza) at all. Although they are often confused and many people think they are caused by the same virus, they are actually completely different illnesses.

We all know the main symptoms of the stomach flu. Not many things can make you more uncomfortable than vomiting and diarrhea. There are a few other symptoms that you should be aware of as well though.

Have you gotten the dreaded stomach flu this year? Most everyone I know did. How did it affect you? Was it worse than other stomach viruses that you have experienced? If so, you have my sympathies.

Comments
April 1, 2011 at 11:00 am
(1) Bee Boyd says:

It hit me yesterday – overcome with headache, naseau, and then threw up about 8 times in 6 hours. Diarrhea, too. Ugh. Felt freezing cold. It’s the next morning and am feeling weak as a kitten. Naseau seems to be gone, but stomack is still tender.

April 1, 2011 at 2:27 pm
(2) Susan says:

My daughter (10) got this Sunday March 20. It lasted 6 days and all she did was sleep. She had a fever/nausea throughout. After day 3, we went to the pediatrician who informed us this strain was lasting on average 5-7 days. The flu came back yesterday (march 31), keeping our fingers crossed it will be short.

April 6, 2011 at 9:26 pm
(3) Lori says:

My first symptoms started Monday, April 4th. I’m pretty sure I contracted it Friday, April 1st–not a good April Fools joke, to be sure. I was in a classroom, and the teacher told me that she had it, all of her students had it, and then her aides had it. I scoured my hands after leaving both classroom and school, but to no avail.

Have only had fatigue, nausea. Feels like someone punched me in the stomach. Otherwise, so far, have dodged the bullet on other symptoms. Dismayed to hear that this virus lasts 5-7 days, though.

April 13, 2011 at 9:57 pm
(4) Elizabeth says:

We took 37 teens to NYC over Spring Break last week. One girl fell ill on Tuesday and spent the whole week in the hotel room with vomiting, diarrhea, stomach ache, low grade fever. It took her 7 days to get back to school. My daughter came down with it the day after we returned (this past Saturday) and is still pretty ill today. I am hoping she will feel better by this Saturday. Several other kids have had varying degrees of the same symptoms, but these two are the only ones who have been sick for so long. I am hoping I don’t get it!!!

April 24, 2011 at 8:30 am
(5) Karen says:

My husband got this about 3 weeks ago first week of april 2011 and when it first hit he thought it was the lobster he ate..he was very ill with vomiting etc. I told my Son, 23 to stay with his friend for a few days and not come home and he told me I was paranoid that food poisoning is not contagious and he did not think it was stomach bug. Two mornings later he woke with vomiting for many hours and he said “I guess it was not food poisoning” I was only one left and I was drinking pure grape juice for 4 days because I heard it may ward it off. the next day I got hit with diahreah but felt ok and thought maybe the grape juice stops the vomiting. WRONG..in 4 hours vomiting hit with a vengeance and went on for 12 hours and diahreah every few minutes. I lost 9 pounds. i have not thrown up this much since i was in elemtary school. At least I got over by fear of throwing up that I had for many years. it improved for a day but then diahreah hit again on the 4th day for about 12 hours!
this was a very nasty virus
I am in Ohio

May 6, 2011 at 9:47 am
(6) Matt says:

The symptoms appear to last longer because this is a mutated version of this norovirus. Just like the cold virus which mutates the norovirus also follows this pattern making the symptoms last longer, meaning that your body is not use to this strand.

May 24, 2011 at 7:33 pm
(7) rose says:

OMG, I have been so sick for the past four days with vomiting and a migrane. I have never had a stomach flu last this long or had a migrane along with it. I don’t know which was worse. My stomach kept getting spasms and I kept vomiting except there was nothing left to vomit. I vomited so much stomach acid my throat was killing me. Spent Sunday in the emergency room and Mon. in Dr.’s office. I’m finally feeling a little better but don’t tell my family they’ll want dinner. No way do I want to even see food. I’m drinking gingerale. I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy.

June 2, 2011 at 9:07 pm
(8) karen says:

I hope you feel better. as I mentioned in my post, this bug was horrible!!I had headache with it too
awful
take care and add food back gradually..

June 4, 2011 at 10:27 pm
(9) Paul says:

I got this flu on March 31st, now on June 4th it is still hanging on pretty strong. I have been lucky to just have diarrhea with it, but I did have a fever and major body aches and pains for the first two days. The pains are stilli lingering. My doctor said that this strain has symptoms lasting 5-7 days. Day 5, fingers crossed.

Her suggestion was BRAT

Bananas
Rice
Applesauce
Toast

Also, she recommended eating pasta and drinking chammomile tea with raw honey and salt, three times daily.

July 1, 2011 at 11:03 pm
(10) Elyse says:

My son has had this now for six days he’s 23 months and has been throwing up and vomiting and hasn’t eaten anything. It’s the worst virus ever.

July 9, 2011 at 6:16 am
(11) Dakota says:

I got hit with this on Thursday (07/07) mainly with stomach pains, wasn’t feeling quite right yesterday and feeling slightly nauseous, but this morning it hit full force. Hopefully it goes away soon. I feel absolutely feral. Massive headache, fever, aches, can’t get warm, stomach constantly gurgling, and extremely runny diarrhoea. Only vomited once today and haven’t eaten anything since until just then. Fingers crossed it goes away soon!

July 13, 2011 at 12:18 pm
(12) john says:

This is the fifth recurrence I have had in as many months. The biggest thing that happens to me is the lack of energy, a little wooziness, diarrhea, fever, and joint soreness. This time it goes away for hours, and I feel like I’ve turned the corner. Then, the wooziness and weakness returns. I do not vomit as a symptom, but I do not wish to eat much. This recurrence is a little weaker than I’ve had previously, a lot less diarrhea, but oh I wish I could take care of this once and for all.

July 14, 2011 at 10:29 pm
(13) dougfir says:

I am on day 4. appetite has come back, but whenever I get up to make food I feel dizzy and after eating my stomach gurgles. stools still loose. terrible aches the first two days and headache. no vomitting so I wasn’t sure it was a stomach flu. Had no idea what it could be but these posts make me think it may be the 7 day flu. never had a stomach flu last so long. 3rd day no more aches. still have dizziness, tiredness. tried to walk around the block. I made it but was pretty tired afterwards. Found all I could eat for a few days was banana and toast. Moving on to rice and vegetables now.

September 11, 2011 at 10:14 pm
(14) katherine says:

I got the virus on the 29th of august 2011, and i still have symptoms and it is september 12th 2011. its been 14 days and its about the same or worse and i dont know why. it isnt lighting up and its messing up my menstrual cycle. i have had both constipation and diarrhea, and constant headaches, drowsiness and weakness. if you know anything about this let me know because it is not getting better. thanks

September 21, 2011 at 9:45 am
(15) Beth says:

I’ve had the same as Katherine. I’ve been bothered by this for 2 weeks now, and yesterday and today have been the worst. No vomiting or fever, just very upset stomach, feeling starved when I know I’m not, and then after I eat, I feel lots of gurgling in the belly. Overall, just very tired and frequent headaches, and belly aches. Not very fun at all.

The rest of my family seems to be sick with this, too, but in varying degrees. Son has fever and sore throat, hubby has my belly ache (but his only lasted a few days).

Anyway – hope you all feel better.

November 10, 2011 at 11:01 pm
(16) fismom says:

same here..daughter had a stomach bug 13 days ago. threw up several times in one night and then once the next night. appetite still isn’t great. but overall she seems better.
i came down with the mild symptoms that katherine and beth spoke of about 3 days later…a little diarrhea but nothing major. mostly i have had this terrible gnawing feeling in my stomach that almost feels like hunger but when i eat i am pretty much repulsed by whatever it is. and every now and then i have mild intestinal cramps. it is day 13 since first exposed to this bug. and as we speak my poor husband is upstairs with terrible, watery, forceful diarrhea, all day he’s had it. whatever he drinks it comes right back out. he barely makes it to the toilet. and as i said, this is 13 days after exposure to this thing.
how is that possible?

November 10, 2011 at 11:03 pm
(17) fismom says:

oops…my point was that i have been symptomatic for almost 2 weeks. not your average 24-48 hour stomach bug.

November 18, 2011 at 11:36 am
(18) Teri Rene says:

Got it on Nov.6 th. Today is Nov.18th. Headache, diarrhea, I feel pukey @3 times a day. Sick through the night as well. I’m taking Zofran for the nausea, but there is no cure. I eat whatever I want because it DOESN’T MATTER. Your going to be sick regardless. I think this strain has mutated from 3-4 days to well past 2 weeks. My entire family has it now, so its highly contagious, (we are avid hand washers, sanitizers). Keep hydrated, and God help us, cause this one hurts.

November 20, 2011 at 3:53 pm
(19) Tim says:

I am on day 9 and my stomach still kills me and I cannot eat much or get nasty diarrhea and nausea. I have never ever had a stomach flu last this long. What the heck is this?

December 23, 2011 at 11:32 pm
(20) patrick says:

my child (female) (2 years old)got this like 3 dayz ago, she has just thew up at 10pm before i layed her down to bed – if she still thows up tomorrow i may take her bac to the ER – the nasue meds that she is takein does help, but if the only way to get rid of this bug is to thow it up or poo it out.. then i dont think i should give it to her any more, it’s just makeing the process even longer… :-(

December 27, 2011 at 2:54 pm
(21) Lori says:

It hit my family on Christmas first my baby then my other two children got the illness with very bad vomiting and diarrhea. It came on so quick. My daughter and I were fine that day until about 8 that night and the virus hit both of us. By 11 I was at the hospital. We thought it was food poising until the hospital said it was a virus. Also we found out that 5 more of our relatives that was not at our home got the virus on the 26th and one of them was sent to the hospital. This is a really bad bug. It comes on super quick and hits hard. Body aches, vomiting, diarrhea ,cold shakes, and you can get dehydrated very quickly. Keep trying to drink through this at least a teaspoon of water every 15 mins.

December 29, 2011 at 1:34 am
(22) collin says:

I’m 16 and on day 2 my stomach gurgles and the diarrhea gets worse as does the vomiting I just want it to go away please help

December 29, 2011 at 4:28 pm
(23) So Sick says:

Oh my goodness I have not been this sick since Elementary school. I started feeling queasy on Monday the 26th and the vomiting comes on quick! I didn’t vomit the next day but had a bad headache and sore upset stomach. I thought I was getting better wednesday and went back to work yesterday. Today (the 4th day) I woke up at 4:30 am with stomachache & nonstop diahrrea for the last 8 hours. It is such a bad bug!

January 16, 2012 at 11:32 am
(24) Rob Moore says:

Since 23/12 ive been suffering with this.
Started with Loose,Smelly Bowel.That would happen every third/fourth day.Felt a bit tired which is most rare for me.Two weeks on i had 2 days of stomach ache.When that cleared up bowels returned to normal.Felt well enough to go back to work for 2 days.Yesterday i had a stomach ache which kept me up last night.Appetite is now very poor.
Stomach feels ‘damaged’ today.
I’ve never had anything like this before (43)
A few people i’ve heard from have had some form of GI upset.
This is a nasty bug.

February 4, 2012 at 9:28 pm
(25) Stephanie says:

I came down with this on mon jan31. Today is dayFeb 6 and I am still extreme nausea. Seems to get worse when I try to eat. The first 30 hours was crippling. Vomiting. Diarrhea. I ended up in ER the first time feb 1 at 5 in evening. Was given 2 iv ,pain killer, an gravol. Ended up in ER again 3 am next night. I was in so much pain was making me crazy. I realized. The more you let them give you the longer it takes for it to run it’s course and for you to get better. I was told it was viral gastroenteritis and that nothing but brat (bread rice apples and toast)and rest will make u better. My man was only sick for 2 days. Lucky bastard. Good luck everyone

February 5, 2012 at 12:46 am
(26) Lila says:

My daughter, 5, caught this last Sunday, tomorrow will be 7 days! No diarrhea, she vomited on day one and two, now it’s just stomach pains with dry heaves and stomach acid, with fever that can go up to 105! I’ve been going between Tylenol and Advil to bring the fever down, but it starts to go right back up once it wears off. Been to her pediatrician and the ER. They gave her a chest xray cause she has been coughing too just to make sure she didn’t have pneumonia, and took urine to test for uti, all clear. They told me it was viral, just like her ped did, and I had to keep her hydrated and try BraT diet. I’ve been scouring the net for info, and well as much as I hate to hear my daughter may be sick for a while, I’m atleast glad to hear that she isn’t alone and she will get better in time. This strain is horrible and I pray that she will be better soon!! It hurts to see her so tired and in pain. If anyone has any tips to get rid of this faster, I’m all ears. Anyone try probiotics?? I’m thinking about it, but not sure how that would work…

February 14, 2012 at 1:34 pm
(27) Stephanie says:

I posted on feb 6 and it is feb 14 and I am not much better. I did start probiotic (Bio K+) to restore natural flora in the gut and Molkosan to restore ph in the colon.This is helping albeit very slowly. I have been following the best recovery diet that there is bananas oatmeal rice Gatorade potatoes jello lemon water apples and soup. I am on day16 and am experiencing other symptoms. Itchy skin. Burping. Dizziness. Feel like I’m starving but I have honestly never eaten this much in my life. Have lost a total of 17 lbs. Pain in the chest. Extremely tired. And palpitations. I am beside myself with all of this and I need to go back to work!!!!! Have doc appt today for reassessment. Also going to request stool samples for parasites. And Hpylori. As I have heard symptoms of stomach flu are the same or can be brought on by the stomach flu. All I know is my body is telling me there is something wrong. I am a very independent and healthy person. !!!! The last time I was sick was more than 10 tees ago.

February 16, 2012 at 12:34 pm
(28) Stephanie says:

It is day 17 for me. and I have done a lot of research. I’m posting to help people in the future. When you get the stomach flu also known as gastroenteritis and Norwalk or norovirus. this is what you do. Let yourself vomit. Do not make yourself vomit. If you can, drink water as soon as vomiting stops. Start a oral rehydration solution available at any pharmacy. Dehydration is what causes the dizziness and fatigue. Drink only fluids for a few hours to help flush out toxins. As soon as you can eat!!! Eat banana. Rice. Yogurt. Oatmeal. Applesauce. Toast. These are easiest for your stomach to digest. Start a probiotic to replace natural gut flora. I used Bio K+. Start Molkosan. It restores ph balance in colon. Rest! You may experience. Nausea. Dizziness. Fatigue. Sore stomach and intestine. And sore back. These symptoms lasted 2 weeks for me. If I had followed this regimen I could have been better sooner. Live and learn. I would not suggest taking anything at all. Gravol made me have a panic attack. Go to er if you experience dehydration from diarrhea as this can be serious. Mine lasted 2 weeks. I was iv 2 bags and I didn’t think I was dehydrated. Your bowel movements will be messed up for a while. So stay away from upsetting foods to speed your recovery. Im talking months. I lost a total 17 lbs. Dont get stressed out it only makes it worse. You will not die. Although it sure feels like it. Keep your stomach full. Little meals at a time and gradually increase to bigger portions more spread out through the day. Good luck to everyone. Wash your hands after touching anything. Bleach will kill virus in your house so bleach it up ! Ps this virus is very contagious. Breathing in the air someone vomited in will cause you to get it. So be careful.

February 16, 2012 at 12:42 pm
(29) Stephanie says:

Oh I also forgot to mention magnesium x4 a day will help relive the stomach cramping. Any questions email me lovesbeeswaxandcandles@hotmail.com

March 30, 2012 at 2:46 pm
(30) John says:

COCONUT WATER is best for hydration,and electrolytes, not Coconut juice , just water. Better then bananas and gatorade– look at the ingredients. VITACOCO, ,ZICO,O.N.E. COCONUT WATER -all companies are good.

May 24, 2012 at 6:40 pm
(31) plumber in Henlow says:

Heya i am for the primary time here. I came across this board and I in finding It really helpful & it helped me out much. I am hoping to offer something back and help others like you aided me.

May 25, 2012 at 5:24 pm
(32) Oakey says:

Keeping this thread going. I contracted this on May 21st and it is now the 25th. The first 2 days was rough, as I experienced most of the symptoms described here (diarrhea around the clock, muscle and joint pain, nausea, weakness, dizziness, dehydration). I kept myself hydrated as much as possible with water and gatorade, and forced myself to eat toast and rice porridge. By day 3, the only symptom remaining was the diarrhea, or rather, the urge to go. I’m afraid that I went so much that I’ve conditioned my body to just naturally want to let loose some excess baggage. I just sit there on the throne, giving myself a possible prolapse, with nothing coming out, but there’s that “feeling” that I have to go. It is such a pain in the derrière.

July 16, 2012 at 9:42 pm
(33) lisa says:

I contracted it 7 days ago. Just diarreha no vomiting but I still feel horrible

July 25, 2012 at 8:25 am
(34) Surrounded! says:

This is the craziest virus I have ever seen! Came first in my 8 yo brother in law. He had diarrhea all day every day for 6 days, only vomitting at night, but still, every night. Then in his 12 yo sister, who vomited only once and had diarrhea for 3 days. Then my 1 yo daughter who had, in total, three runny diapers, 3 regular textured terribly smelling yellow diapers, and three episodes of vomitting over a 5 day period. Poor baby did not want to eat or drink anything at all. Now my husband is ill. With his already sensitive stomach, we knew it would be more like his brother’s illness. Violent diarrhea and dry heaving. Poor things. I’m terrified to get it! How will I take care of my now well baby girl?! Cloroxing EVERYHING and just about burning my hands away with hot water and soap!

September 6, 2012 at 9:15 am
(35) michelle says:

I am a senior in high school but this flu started in our elementary school and then worked its way to the high school. Kids and teachers were getting it then throwing up in the hall ways. I was around two people who had it and now this is the third day I have been out of school due to diarrhea,vomiting,headache and really bad chills. I have had to sleep in a sleeping bag with three more blankets on top of me because I’m so cold. the first night i got sick i laid in our bathroom floor because it wouldn’t be two mintues i was back in there sick.

September 17, 2012 at 12:09 am
(36) anonomous says:

I’m experiencing the stomach flu right now I’m into day two I feel TERRIBLE….headache, nonstop watery stools, decreased urine, loss of appetite, muscle aches (mostly in my legs) and CHILLS , I’VE heard the term chills before but never experienced them until now, I knew exactly what they were!!!!. My stomach hurts like heck and Im tired a lot. This sucks. I’ve had stomach viruses before, NONE like this….I found that eating bland foods: dry toast, bannanas, applesauce, dry potatoes will help …

September 17, 2012 at 12:21 am
(37) anonomous says:

I have viral gastroenteritis( stomach flu ) now. On day two I’ve had stomach viruses before and none as horrible as this … Im having headaches, watery stools every ten minutes on the toilet, sore muslces (mostly my legs), loss of appetite, dry eyes, decreased urination, horrible stomach aches, and CHILLS…I’ve heard the term chills quite often , never had them but when I felt them I KNEW right of what they were.. very cold feeling. THIS SUCKs and I’m only on day two. I’m terrified reading these blogs knowing it could last up to two weeks…!

October 9, 2012 at 5:20 am
(38) John says:

OH MAN! I am so happy to have found this site. I’m going on day 9 of this stomach virus and for awhile I though I was going crazy. It’s such a relief to hear other peoples stories. I was beginning to think there was something seriously wrong with me since it’s been going on so long. I’ve had diarrhea, muscle soreness (low back and legs), a few headaches, a slight fever, and stomach cramps but no vomiting. I do seem to be getting better, just ever so slightly. It’s such a pain since I can’t go about my daily/usual business because I’m so exhausted and ill. I’ll be checking this regularly so if you need some help, support, or just someone to talk to, let me know. I hope you all feel better. I’m praying for you and for me.

October 13, 2012 at 10:08 pm
(39) Greenwood says:

I have had this flu for 14 days….I went to the ER 4 days into it and they ran all sorts of tests…nothing major was wrong. They said it was just the flu. Then at 7 days I went to my GP they too thought it was the flu but did a stool sample. That all came back clean.
My symstoms have been no vomiting, nausea most days but comes and goes. The first 7 days was more constant nausea. Slight fever. Diarhea started at day 5 and went for 6 days. That is now gone but nausea is still there!!!
I know its a virus because I work with kids and they have had the same thing….
Crazy how long it has lasted! I just want to feel better! Any words for ecouragement?

October 13, 2012 at 10:09 pm
(40) Greenwood says:

John are you feeling better yet? I think I got sick around the same time as you…

October 14, 2012 at 2:57 am
(41) SMM says:

So I’m pretty sure I’ve caught this for the second time this year. I had the really bad case of stomach flu January 1st of this year it lasted for 7 days. On Thursday (10/11) I got what felt like food poisoning but no vomiting. I also got really achy like when you have the flu all of my joints hurt. It is now late Saturday 10/13 and I have had a constant stomach ache since Thursday. I’ve been able to eat my but stomach hurts more when I do. Been switching between constipated and diarrhea but no vomiting. If this is what i had in January maybe it’s a milder form but still aggravating!

October 30, 2012 at 1:01 pm
(42) Steve M. says:

Mine was so bad I dehydrated, lost my appotite, lost 25lbs, litterally went crazy due to anxiety and panic attacks that spiralled out of control for about 2 weeks. Ended up in the ER week 1 with a heartrate of 160bps and my BP was 170/110. A week later I went to a clinic and they proscribed me citalpram, a diaretic for the BP, and probiotics. A couple of weeks the anxiety fits were gone, and a month later my digestion was normal and BP down to 110/75 with an average heartrate of 75bps. Kept the weight off too! – But I would NEVER go through that again. The panic attacks were insane! I litterally felt like I was going to die – and one time thought I had. Everything was surreal and I felt out of my body. I thought it would never end. But it did with meds… and I’m way better now.

November 13, 2012 at 7:30 pm
(43) Mary says:

Everyone’s getting it! :( how do u make it stop? Feeling really bad for 2 hours now :( (

November 20, 2012 at 7:44 am
(44) Maris says:

My family hit this stomach bug last week nov 13. It started out w my 2 kids who are vomitting and have loose stools then at late at night I got it too but no vomitting, but the very nasty diarrhea the next morning it hit my husband w the diarrhea and its now nov 20 my family isn’t fully recovered yet. This virus is tough. We been to the ER doctor gave me and my daughter IV for dehydration but no meds For diarrhea. Let the toxins dispell on its own but we need to fight it by taking lots of fluids, I bought cases of Gatorade or any electrolyte fluids you may find, bananas, apple, soups and plenty of rest. Thinking of taking probiotics. Been wiping w Clorox everywhere to kill this tough virus. Praying that everybody gets better soon.

November 22, 2012 at 3:00 pm
(45) Angel says:

Omg I thought there was something wrong with me too. I’ve never been sick for this long before, I’m going on to my 6 th day. First it was just your common cold and cough with a slight fever and some body aches. I took cold meds and then Tylenol for the headaches and fever, then took some cough syrup too (not all together of course). Now, my cold seems to be getting better but for the last 2 days I haven’t been able to keep down anything I’ve put in my mouth. Threw up 4 times just eatting a tiny breakfast yesterday. And I always feel tired and dizzy. I’ve already taken my 3rd day off work. What am I supposed to do????

November 24, 2012 at 9:39 pm
(46) debbie says:

My 10 yr old son got sick last Sunday and was in the er because of the terrible pain. We thought he had appendicitis. He had nausea and vomiting and diarrhea for two days ..it was negative just stomach virus. I got it Wednesday. Thanksgiving sucked but I went and stayed on my sister in laws couch nauseous. Had to work 12 hours next day, only made it through 8..so nauseous!!!! Day 4 today, Saturday, still nauseous and weak, tired, drained. Barely eating. Suppose to work tomorrow. I’m a nurse and don’t feel like taking care of sick patients when I still feel so sick. And by the way,, my husband got it yesterday and he feels perfectly fine today!! Why don’t I? ???

November 29, 2012 at 2:18 pm
(47) Flo says:

OMGosh, there is a stomach virus running through my extended family. First one of my 6 yr old nephews had it on 11-14 threw up once then was fine. On Thanksgiving my other 6 yr old nephew (they are twins) wanted to spend the night at my house at 1030pm he was up vomitting so I called my mom to come pick him up & take him home since his mother wasn’t able to get here & I couldn’t get ahold of his dad, he was down for 2 days. Saturday I find out my 10 yr old niece had it Thursday night as well & Saturday night my younger sister had to leave work because she got sick she was down for 2 days, then her 4 yr old son was sick Sunday. Monday my 15yr old nephew & 5 yr old niece had it. Tuesday my younger sisters boyfriend came home from work sick he still is feeling bad. And I just talked to my husband & he said 4 guys were out sick yesterday. AHHH when is this going to end?? I don’t want me, my husband or my 2 daughters to get sick. I am going to be in full disinfecting mode 24/7 until spring. ;-(

December 1, 2012 at 12:54 am
(48) Sarah says:

Hi this has also circulated our family- my youngest 2 children 6 and 4 and been going on more than 3 weeks where one is sick lasting 24 hours then 48 hours later the other is sick (4 or 5x back and forth!) has this happened to anyone else? I am wondering if somehow they could be passing it back and forth. Has anyones lasted this long and been recurrant like this ? I am worried it is Cdiff which is a scarey superbug.

December 1, 2012 at 1:49 am
(49) aNDY says:

Nove 30 2012 got it two days ago and I am so happy to see this site Thought I was dying. nausea, water diarhea, pain in stomach, aches in hips and legs.

December 2, 2012 at 6:20 pm
(50) John says:

Just like aNDY glad I found this. Threw up 3x on Thursday for first time in 15 years. Bad diarreah 2 days, subsided so far today. Rehydrate with gatorade and water. Good rule of thumb is a glass of water and a glass of gatorade after getting sick. Had a touch of it 2 weeks ago. My son was sick for 5 days, pretty resilient kid, still went to a convention. Be healthy, don’t forget large amounts of Vitamin C help.

December 3, 2012 at 10:30 pm
(51) Clair says:

I can’t believe how bad this virus is! It is going through our family like crazy! I am hoping my husband and 3 month old don’t get it! Mother in-law, brother in-law, sister in-law, myself, and my 18 month old have all had it within a week!! It wasn’t too bad for me-vomited 4x Saturday night/Sunday morning with extremely bad stomach cramps. It’s now Monday, and I feel almost compoletrky normal besides feeling tired. I made sure to keep eating ice throughout feeling sick as well as pedialyte popsicles. I knew if I tried to drink something, it would be too much and I would only make things worse. Definitely follow the BRAT diet! I waited 9 hours before I tried to eat something-which was applesauce. Rest is also very important! I think it is crazy how the virus effects each person so differently-maybe a mutation? My mother in-law and sister in-law both got the virus after me and have not only the vomiting, but very bad diarrhea!! I am so scared that my 3 month old and husband may come down with it. I have been bleaching EVERYTHING in my house, washing laundry like crazy, and washing my hands nonstop. I just want it to go away!!

December 4, 2012 at 6:23 am
(52) Max says:

Just about getting over this awful virus…my family so far not had it thank goodness …I’ve been very cautious with cleanliness…wiping down surfaces in toilet with antibacterial wipes without fail scrubbing my hands and placing bleach down the toilet …..I’ve had it for 8 days and today is so far …..my best day ..should be back at work tomorrow….I had two days of cramps before the diorreahea began and the cramps continued on and off throughout….no sickness but loads of nausea …..plain warm water to sip was helpful …paracetamol for the cramps as advised to me by a nurse …..which did help espeacially at night …..I am absolutely desperate for a Big Mac and large fries now lol….I feel so sorry for the elderly and inform if they get this …my hubby been looking after me ..but started new job Monday ….I was lucky my symptoms had eased …hope everybody else heals very soon…quite distressing illness if not used to so many stomach cramps!! Never had a pattern of symptoms like this before

December 11, 2012 at 8:00 am
(53) Dawn says:

I have had this bug now on for 6 days now god it horrible not been sick now but stomach pain and the pooing ahhhh I want to eat but my stomach won,t let me . All I,ve been able eat is toast and boiled poatots god I hope I get better before christmas: (

December 11, 2012 at 4:39 pm
(54) Trey says:

My 2 yr old son caught the nasty stomach bug from daycare. 2 days later I started having stomach cramps, felt very weak and sweaty, next few mins I started vomiting so violently I thought I was going to die! The stomach spasms wouldn’t stop. Non stop watery diarrhea for hours. Hot and cold sweats. I needed the fan on my face to help with the nausea but I was so cold from the chills I had to turn it off. Bad lower back cramps and nausea still later that night. I barely had any sleep. The vomiting stopped the first night, but on day 2 im still very weak, an overall sick feeling and haven’t been able to eat anything yet, just some water and Gatorade and a few ritz.this is the worst I have felt in my entire life! I never want to get a stomach bug like this again! But it’s hard to avoid when you have small children in daycare. Illnesses spread around there like wildfire! I hope my family and I feel better soon and never get this again!

December 19, 2012 at 6:01 am
(55) Prefer not to say says:

Pucked 8 times within an hour yesterday:( feel really weak. Body feels bruised up. I’m hungry but don’t feel like eating because I’m scared ill throw up again. I’ve been advised to have sips of water

January 1, 2013 at 9:46 pm
(56) Cmiles says:

102 fever x-mas day. Dizzy, vomiting,deep cough so bad I have a mussel ache in side, no appetite,. After 7 days still tired and stomach hurts so bad, feels like someone kicked me. Can not go back to work yet.

January 3, 2013 at 2:56 am
(57) jma says:

I’m a 29 year old female that has battled this illness for over a month now. It came on the heels of a 3 week bought of severe shingles. It has literally taken away my life. I’ve dropped to 78lbs at 5’1 due to the constant nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. I’m weak, exhausted and falling into a depression from being sick for so long. I have little glimmers of hope every once in awhile where I might feel better for a few hours, but then the violent vomiting begins again and puts me right back where I started. I will be being admitted to the hospital tomorrow for a few days to get rehydrated once again and attempt to get some nutrition on board either thru tube feedings or TPN depending on what my body can withstand at this point. Feeling defeated and like this is never going to end.

January 3, 2013 at 11:59 pm
(58) Cooper77 says:

Woke up to this horrible bug at 5 am and literally haven’t stopped having diarrhea since. I’m talking every 30-40 mins. Throwing up as well, but not as much. This throbbing headache can stop at any time. No appetite and gurgling stomach and cramping. I don’t see any sleep in my future :(

January 5, 2013 at 7:20 pm
(59) heide says:

Plz plz someone tell me when it will stop… I’m so stressed out and I feel so bad for my babies..
My oldest sone got it from school he got it dec 21 was sick most the day. But the next day he was fine. Then sat my daughter got it she was sick most the day. The Sunday was a good day no one sick.. Monday my 1yr son got sick at night was sick most the nite. Then bam my daughter was sick again then my older son… my husband and I to got it but it was only 24 hrs for us.. my older son is now better but my two youngest are still sick.. mostly at nite.. throwing up once. They still have diaharra but not to bad….
I cry all the time because I want them to get better. We have been going on about 12 days off and on with this nasty bug… can plz someone tell me when this wills stop and my life will get back to normal

January 5, 2013 at 9:56 pm
(60) B101 says:

January 5, 2013 at 9:59 pm
(61) Alihandra says:

I’m 18 yrs old and caught the flu New Years Days. The First day I was throwing up just about every hour from anything even when there was nothing left ,Then later the Diarrehea set in. On the seconed day My Aunt gave me some ONDANSETRON HCL 4 MG. TABLET, it got rid of throwing up & a lot of the Nusea and stop me from pooping ,but I still felt tired & weak. The Fourth day even with pills I had Some Diarrehea . Fifth day and I’m Queezy/Nasues , No medicine , and my bowels seem to be getting back to normal. These past 5 days have been horrible and excruciating. :-/ !!!!

January 8, 2013 at 9:42 pm
(62) John says:

Hey all, I just wanted to chime in and wish you all well and let you know you’re in my thoughts! I had this same bug back in October, and holy moly, it was just horrible! If you look back to early October (maybe the 9) you can find my post. I think it took a good 3 weeks to recover from this; a long time I know! But believe me it will get better! Just hang in there.

January 12, 2013 at 8:17 pm
(63) E says:

I got it last night. Started feeling queezy around 7 pm, then threw up about 3 times between 9pm and midnight. I also had diarrhea (got that before I vomited) and I still have it. I was so tired when I started feeling sick but every time I tried to lay down I’d feel sicker. At one point, while waiting in the bathroom to throw up, I was in the Tebow pose! I think the worst part tho was getting some stuff on my face during round one cuz my face was too close to the toilet. Luckily bf brought me a cold washcloth so I was able to wipe it off. I was happy he slept through all my sickness cuz this is the second time I puked on our date night and it was really embarrassing. I’m already starting to feel better, and thank goodness I kept the water down last night. I was so dehydrated.

January 18, 2013 at 12:15 am
(64) J.R says:

It all started with me having a bad chill fever and shakes. the next day DIARREHA.I knw how y’all feel been going through it about a month and some change. I feel better as for the fever,chills,and headaches but the diarrhea want stop its keep switching from diarehha to constipation. I’m so scared i don’t knw what the heck is going on with me but soon seeing a gasteroloigist. I’ve lost 27 pounds I been in the hospital 2 times they did blood work 2 times and kept saying I’ve got the stomach bug. As of today my stomach still makes noises hurts at times and sometime I don’t have a appetite. I wish it will b all over soon. Also I have leg pains back pains this is crazy why they don’t have nothing to cure this virus

January 18, 2013 at 2:48 pm
(65) Jessica says:

Could this be what I have? For a week and a half Ive had very loose stools…sometimes diarrhea. That came on very suddenly. Then I had cold symptoms for 2 days…congestion, sore throat. Now i have flu symptoms. Im not vomiting but I have headache, body aches, nausea. Still have loose stools. Seems like everything I eat causes a reaction within 2 hours.

January 31, 2013 at 8:17 am
(66) nicole says:

I have had this studid bug now for about 6 days yesterday and that night was the worst throwning up and diarea all day and night :( stomach has hurt all 6 days with headach chills body ach sleepy, and of course stupid coldsores from being sick :( this really sucks. Also sucks cuz my 6 month old is bateling astzma rsv phemonia and bronculitous right now and i dobt want to swaddle him cuz i dont want him to get the flu. :(

January 31, 2013 at 10:09 am
(67) Steven says:

I got sick with this virus last Friday (it is now the following Thursday) and still I am not fully recovered. The first 48 hours were pure hell, nothing but vomiting and writhing in agony in between, no diarrhea though, so I guess I am thankful for that, vomiting pretty much subsided after those first 2 days, but still whenever I eat just a bite too much I am forced to breath heavily through my nose to stop the rising tide of barfing (if you are trying to hold food down and feel a barf coming on, you can breath very heavily through your nose back and forth to counteract the vomitting, just be careful you don’t hyperventilate yourself. But now on day 7 my nausea is pretty much gone (thank god!!) but still whenever I eat I have to take one small bite then wait 5-10 minutes before my stomach stops bubbling and grumbling and the food finally settles, so needless to say it takes me about an hour to finish a 200 calorie can of soup, so I feel very weak and undernourished and have lost about 5-10lbs so far. It really sucks too because when I finally finish that long ass bowl of soup and attempt to lay down for a bit, I end up waking up within an hour like clockwork with intense hunger pangs since there is no more food in my stomach and my body is in obvious need of food and nutrients, it’s very horrible to feel intense biting hungar pangs only to eat a couple bites and have an upset, rumbly and gaseous stomach, then have to repeat the process every 5 minutes to get at least a bit of food in me, and then only to get violently hungry again in an hour, I guess it is a good sign that I am at least getting hungry and my body is accepting some food at least (that is more than I would have been able to say 2 days ago), but it is almost getting to the point where I feel like I will have to live like this forever, will it ever stop?!

January 31, 2013 at 10:14 am
(68) Steven says:

Oh also for anyone else going through this, for some reason whenever I would have bad nausea or upset stomach, the only thing that would make me feel ANY better would be to turn the shower on really warm, and lay down in it and let the hot water massage my abdomin, it also helped to just lay in a warm tub for a while as we’ll, it just got my mind off my intense pain and misery for a short while, highly recommend trying it for anyone else going through this horrible virus. Hope this helps!

January 31, 2013 at 3:20 pm
(69) Jen says:

Got his stomach virus Saturday night and now Thursday afternoon. Started after dinner with feeling like indigestion and nausea then violent vomiting, then the diarreah started. The real joy was rushing to the bathroom and trying to decide on the way if I should sit on it or stick my head in the bowl. Gaahh!!! Finally after the third trip just stayed laying on the floor shivering until I needed to sit again and puke in a trash can.
All I can say is this was extremely violent and lasted all night, so bad I go shoulder and back charlie horses from all the fun. Icy shivers, headaches, sore hips and legs, nausea, nausea, nausea, 100 degree temp. Everyone says it’s only supposed to be 24 to 48 hours, and the really bad symptoms where that long, but it drags on. I recommend cutting icy cold cirus gatorade with water by one half. Drink a couple of swallows after the worst passes then wait a couple of minutes and drink a little more. Drink maybe 6 oz and then wait for half an hour don’t over do it but you want to start hydration as soon as possible. We can do without eating for days so don’t worry about that just get some liquid in if you have both vomiting and diareah, that can land you in the hospital.
After 6 days my digestion has recovered although I won’t be eating chicken alfredo for awhile. Still kinda dizzy and weak but hope that goes away soon.
Oh and try the Lifeway Kefir Probiotic drink. It tastes good but don’t guzzle it, it is strong stuff and has 10 active cultures and and 99 %lactose free so easy on the digestion. I like the strawberry, take a few sips a few times a day and your digestion will staighten up within a day or two. Call around it is a little hard to find but worth it.

January 31, 2013 at 11:00 pm
(70) Nikki A says:

I’m joining the fray here in Oakland, CA – I got the flu on Monday eve it is now Thurday eve. Threw up in yoga class, in my friend’s car and then non-stop once I made it home. Camped out in the bathroom. Between vomiting I felt a bit okay, drink sips of water, until it slowly stirred up again as I would violently throw up until there was nothing to come out -that’s the horrible bit.

Very little sleep was to be had. By next morning, I was feeling stable by next day though very tired. But then my bones in my legs were super achy and uncomfortable. I took ibuprofen, had a teaspoon of applesauce and got a couple of naps in. I was hitting the gatorade pretty hard too. Since then I’ve been moving slowly and not very interested in food. No diarrhea at all, thankfully!

Though I’ve been feeling queasy after I eat. And now on the fourth day I’m feeling like I have vertigo whenever I get up. I’ve been trying to work, I’m calling it quits for now and going to rest. Jeez. I hope the end is near. Thanks for everyone for writing in…at least I’m not alone in this.

February 2, 2013 at 6:09 am
(71) Lozza says:

I’m only on day two. I felt nauseous all of Thursday night and then by Friday morning, puking my guts up. I could barely move yesterday and never made it to the living room. Too far from the toilet. I’ve had terrible stomach pains that came in waves. First I’d get a wave of excruciating pain, then this loud gurgling would happen, and then whatever it was would push down to my bowels so I’d soil myself if I wasn’t actually sitting on the toilet. It’s the second morning and I’ve only eaten a couple saltines and half a banana. My doctor told me to drink coconut water and take Probiotics, which I’ve done. I’m not keen on the coconut water, but it’s good for dehydration. Today my stomach isn’t really in pain, but sore, but the gurgling is persistent and I still have runny diarrhea. I want to sleep today as this vomiting and diarrhea has made it tough to get a good night’s rest. My poor husband is sleeping in the living room and taking care of me. I hope he doesn’t get this. And I hope it goes away soon.

February 2, 2013 at 3:54 pm
(72) MommaBear says:

my 8 month old daughter was in the ER for 12 miserable hours on thursday with this crap. vomitting, diarrhea, no fever, cant hold down any liquids etc. Its now Saturday, and her dad and I are now sick. Last night we had KFC for dinner. About an hour went by and I couldnt stop the vomit. then about 2 am my husband could not stop. Today, Im feeling better (made chicken noodle soup home made, drinking ginger ale) but my husband cannot stop vomitting, the diarrhea is awful, & hes having theae awful stomach gurgling noises.

You guys say that theres no such thing as the “Stomach Flu”. However, thats what my daughter was diagnosed with on Thurs?

I guess my ? is, how can I make the gurgling stop so Papa Bear can get some rest?

February 6, 2013 at 2:05 pm
(73) russell amirault says:

I got sick today with this flu at 1:30 in the morning I have had light diarrhea too and very violet vomiting. Lucky Its been 12 hours since I got it and I’m feeling a bit better then I was the morning finally was able to eat a little bit of a banana. I found the extra strength tylenol helps a lot.

February 8, 2013 at 3:18 am
(74) Jersey says:

So sorry to hear about everyone’s issues! I feel for you all. Hubs and I woke up on Tuesday (Feb 5) feeling kind of achy, but we figured from our soft mattress. Around 4pm I start to get really fatigued and achy and the chills hit me. By 5pm I’m feverish and my temp is at 100. Within 2 hours I feel like death, all flu symptoms. My hubs was at work and he calls me (after whining texts to him) and lets me know he has the same symptoms. After a day and a half of flu mode and slight diarrhea, –it really hits the fan, if you know what I mean. Gassy and bloated, diarrhea every 20-30 min or so. Thankfully no vomiting, but the worst part was the chills, aches (HOLY hip pain, Batman), and maaaajor sweating. I’m talking soaking through our clothes. Oh and massive headaches. I fortunately feel better by now and no more cramps or anything (3am Friday morning), but my poor husband had to move from bed to the couch bc he sweated up the sheets and can’t sleep from being wet, with a gigantic headache to boot. His stomach has been bothering him allll day. I hope he feels better soon, he’s hella cranky and won’t let me help him.

Hope everyone feels better!

February 15, 2013 at 9:41 am
(75) libbyloo says:

my 2 year old grandson has been ill with diarrhea and sickness since sunday the his mum got it on tuesday really ill all day being sick, my husband had a sore throat and chills on tuesday and by tuesday night he had the sickness and the runs…up at the toilet all night…just when he thought it had stopped the diarrhea came back with a vengeance…it has now stopped but he’s feeling terrible can’t eat much aches all over and lost a lot of weight…stomache gurgles if he eats anything…and bothered by terrible wind…my grandson was crying with stomach pains…he seems a bit better still has no energy and can only eat and drink a little at a time…not many people escaping it…

February 17, 2013 at 9:43 pm
(76) mario says:

i got the bug last Sunday Feb 10th i am on day 8 still a little sick but feeling a little better started to eat a little more today and drink some more fluids good luck to the people experiencing this. i hope to get better soon cause this is really messing with my college work.

February 27, 2013 at 1:26 am
(77) Adrian says:

I have had the flu for about a day now and I cannot stop vomiting and my stomach hurts so bad I cannot even sleep and the flu always last 2 to 3 days for me what should I do so I can go to sleep

March 5, 2013 at 1:46 pm
(78) Anna says:

I got this flu three days ago. The first night happened so quickly, I’m 16 years old and all of a sudden I was throwing up and had watery diarrhea. I must of thrown up about 20 times until I woke up my parents and begged to go to the hospital. I found it got a little better from chewing on ice but just warning everyone, don’t drink or eat anything while throwing up and having diarrhea! Not even water! The water just came right back out of me! So I chewed on ice and suffered all night. The next day was a little better. Just felt groggy and felt as if someone punched my stomach. Today is the third day and im actually feeling worse than yesterday. My back and joints all ache and my stomach and head hurt. I am so dizzy that I can barely walk. Hoping this thing will go away. Good luck to everyone!

March 11, 2013 at 8:02 pm
(79) Sammi says:

My 5 year old son caught this last thursday we are on day 5 now. He threw up once the 1st day and 3x’s on the 3rd day has watery stools and complains of severe stomach ache. And the first 3 days complained of really bad headache. I’m going crazy trying to keep him away from my 3 month old baby. This is the most insane bug I’ve ever seen

March 23, 2013 at 3:50 pm
(80) Sarum says:

Omg. My 6 year old daughter got this I think about 14 days ago. Started with vomiting, not wanting to eat, and then the diarrhea. She’s had diarrhea straight for 14 days. They are running a test on her stool to see if she has c diff which is an infection. Won’t gets those results until Monday. Then my 16 month old got it. She only threw up a few times and had a fever. It lasted about 3 days with her. Then my husband got it but only for one day!! And now I’ve had it for 6 days now. Everytime I eat my stomach rumbles and I’m in the bathroom with horrible diarrhea. I have to run to the bathroom a lot. Also sometimes I will get naesous but never throw up. I am so sick of this!! I want to be normal again and want my daughter to be better too!!

March 29, 2013 at 4:43 pm
(81) Sheila Janney says:

I am going on day 12 with the nora virus. Started out all of a sudden with chills and headache and next thing I know I am throwing up really badly and passed out. Felt a little better the next day so went to work and that afternoon got sick again and passed out and hit the floor. I do have a tendency to pass out when sick. Anyway went for iv’s and then the diahhrea started. Went to my personal doctor and he put me on some pills to coat my stomach and liquid diet for first 24 hours then the brat diet of toast, bananas etc. Also a proabiotic pill. Did really good yesterday but not today, sick again this morning early and just don’t feel well. So I’m glad I found this website it has really helped me. My doctor is off for Easter break but said to call him if I get sick again and he would come in and send off a stool sample but so far I haven’t but we’ll see. Hope everyone feels better soon and God Bless.

May 3, 2013 at 7:40 pm
(82) Ozi says:

Very glad I came across this blog, as it made me less worried about this really nasty flu/stomach bug. Last Monday woke up feeling very unwell, after two nights earlier eating in a French restaurant a bowl of muscles. So thought it could have been the reason. Anyways continued with my day, but could not eat anything for the terrible stomach ache and nausea. Then next day could barely move but had to go and give a lecture. Then thought I am better and ate normally for a few days. Then again the same awful weakness, body aches, bad smelly stools and general fatigue and anxiety. I started imagining all sorts of things, especially as now almost two weeks later and it is still there, the gas, nausea, burps, and lack of appetite.
Feeling quite desperatebnowmand about to see my doctor if this does not clear away. I have had many tummy bugs in my life, this is by far the worse!

May 6, 2013 at 10:54 am
(83) Jenna says:

I am suffering the same. I spent a night throwing up a week ago but felt better 48 hours later. Two days after recovery it hit again. No vomiting/diar but I just cannot bear to eat. I am on lots of probiotics, coconut water, other natural remedies. I spent the morning yesterday at hospital for every test under the sun. My hand joints throb or go numb sometimes and I am so so tired and sick to my stomach without a break. I’m 6 pounds down and look weak. I hope this ends soon because it is scary. I keep hoping I wake up wih appetite for something and a bit of energy.

May 12, 2013 at 5:08 pm
(84) Marie says:

I have pretty much the same symptoms as everyone else. It started with a violent bout of vomiting and horrible stomach cramps. Two days later I was feeling better only for it to come roaring back again. A week later it seems to have moved from my stomach to intestines as I now have a very growly abdomen and a little bit of diarrhea. At least the dry heaves have stopped. Worst stomach virus I have ever had in my life!

June 2, 2013 at 4:20 pm
(85) abdominal pains and gas says:

It’s remarkable to visit this website and reading the views of all friends about this article, while I am also eager of getting experience.

June 7, 2013 at 9:40 am
(86) Feli says:

Went to work yesterday feeling beyond exhausted to the point where it was a struggle to stand up. But just thought it was from lack of sleep the night before. I had lots of caffeine and nothing seemed to work. Finally went home to take a nap and woke up a few hours later with intense stomach pains. Then came the nausea. Once i starter throwing up it came back more frequently each time. Than i had incontrolable diarrea. So i was stuck on the tiolet and throwing up in garbage can. Vomiting lasted every 5 minutes for about 8 hours. Couldn’t keep liquids down and started getting dizzy and delusional having crazy mini dreams/hallucinations. Finally got to sleep and woke up from intense pain in my legs so uncomfortable I couldn’t go back to sleep. My whole body hurts and I just want to ^be able to rest it off but body won’t let me

June 21, 2013 at 9:59 am
(87) Miserable says:

I’m so glad to have found this sight- like many of you I was starting to get really worried. My 11 year old came down with it on Friday, my husband and 8 year old on Sunday and me on Monday. We have the same symptoms, vomiting, diarrhea, horrible nausea, fever, headache & body aches. My husband and 11 year old seem to be better which would make it day 6 for both of them but my 8 year old and I are still suffering. We will probably have to go get IV today to help with the dehydration. The nausea has been so bad that its super hard to drink anything. Good luck to everyone and many prayers for anyone suffering this horrible virus.

August 14, 2013 at 9:30 am
(88) Kathryn says:

I woke up July 28th with bad wind, and not feeling right. Next day still felt like something wasn’t right so I stayed home, the next day my stomach felt like it was shaking and i’d completely lost my appetite, I was sick a few times with diarrhea, this lasted TEN DAYS, so I went to my doctor who explained that stomach bugs can last this long, I was so worried as I thought I was going completely crazy as my parents kept saying it was ‘all in my head’, started feeling a bit better on day 12, started gradually eating again, and then yesterday (DAY 17) I woke up with diarrhea again, went to work feeling very fatigued and couldn’t concentrate,and with very bad lower back ache got home and I could hear my stomach bubbling/gurgling constantly and I also had bad wind. Now today (DAY 18) not feeling sick, but after a 12 hour sleep i’ve woken up still fatigued, no appetite, dry mouth. Seems that its still affecting my stomach/bowels, I seem to be having good and bad days :( Hope this is over soon, its driving me mad, just want to feel completely normal again.

November 24, 2013 at 11:56 pm
(89) Brit says:

I realize this thread is old, but it has been very helpful to me. I got sick last Thursay and originally thought it could have been from bad seafood because I had eaten that 6 hours before the violent vomiting started. Once the vomiting stopped, the diahrea and non strop headaches, 101.7 fever, body and joint pain, and nausea went on until this morning. I took Tylenol for the headaches, drank Gatorade and water to rehydrate. Once the nausea subsiding, I tried the brat ( rice, toast and I added chicken broth). I woke up feeling great but took it easy. I introduced toast and a coke today. And felt pretty good until I had 3 bites of chicken with my rice. The body aches and weird joint pain came back as did the stomach ache. Feels like my entire body is sore and my stomach ( under my ribs is bruised) Took Tylenol. I’m getting anxiety about it, but reading this helped. Hoping all gets better. Going to stick to bland diet tomorrow and and try a sip of kiefer probiotic.

I had the same thing in May of 2012 so I wonder if I’m more susceptible ?

November 26, 2013 at 12:15 pm
(90) G says:

After reading all these entries, I guess what I have is not so different. I assumed most flu’s just last a day or 2. Woke up 7 days ago to cramps and diarrhea. After 3 days, I went to a walk in clinic, they prescribed Metronidazole 14 and Ciprofloxacin HCL. After 4 days the cramping is less, but the diarrhea is still there, and I am very, very tired. Not sure if these scripts are even working. Also on a very bland diet. Guess I’ll give it a few more days and hope for the best.

December 13, 2013 at 12:15 pm
(91) Anna says:

This is a very nasty strain of the stomach flu, my 11 year old daughter is going on to week 4 with all the same symptoms described by everyone. With her it works like clockwork 5:00 am she get’s up and has diarrhea, followed by nausea, stomach cramping, dizziness, mild grade fever. Recently after these episodes she’s been so tired, she go back to sleep and sleeps till 10:00am. In the afternoon after her stomach settles down and that’s when I start the rehydration process. Fruit shakes with banana,gatorade, blueberries,probiatic yogurt), then soup with chicken broth, usually rice, potatoes) I try not to give her too much meat as it reaks havoc on her stomach. By 3:00pm she aways seems better is hungry, has energy, not dizzy and the hope is that the virus is finally gone. But much to our dismay, she wakes up again next morning with the same symptoms. She had the same thing last year, we went through the ER, 3 doctors, all the blood, urine, stool test and everything came back negative. Last year she just woke up one day and the diarrhea and cramping was just gone and it was just finally over. I’m waiting around for this year and it couldn’t happen too soon. Also, she has never had a flu shot, wondering if next year this would make a difference. All the best to everyone, hang it there and drink plenty of fluids.

February 8, 2014 at 11:59 am
(92) Susan Williams says:

My husband came down w/cough,sinus prob. Dr. gave steroid shot & prednisone to “build him up”,antibiotic, cough meds. next day took him off prednisone, it had shot his normal sugar level up, also sent for a chest xray(no pneumonia)& ekg(fine),flu test(none)blood work showed white count high. 20,000. sent to a lung dr.who did more test.Everything normal & his white count had come down to 16,000 in 24hrs. so blaming that on the prednisone.chked for blood clot in lung-Normal. Now,last 3 days his cough mostly gone,btw, Never had a fever w/this. He’s been so unusually WEAK, Nausea-no vomiting-liquids making him sick, but getting down enough to keep him alive I guess. So now just weakness & nausea are keeping a normally active & healthy man down. Any exertion just taking bath puts him back in the bed. Even Dr. said this is very mysterious. Anyone out there who’s been like this? Worried about the prednisone reaction maybe…

February 15, 2014 at 12:48 pm
(93) Mark says:

I am 60 years old. I used to get the stomach flu almost every single year,but haven’t had it in years,until this week of Valentines day. I had heard through my kids that they were getting sick with this thing and that it was a killer. Well I got it alright. My symptoms used to first be stomach upset ,then vomiting along with diarrhea and then to top it off I would get a really bad fever and it lasted about 24 hours. This time my stomach pains won’t go away. Its been 4 days and still can hardly eat anything. I’ve lost 5 pounds and the only thing that has made me feel a little better is this forum. From what I understand , it is a special strain of flu. I hope I never have to do this again. It is horrible.

February 17, 2014 at 7:34 am
(94) emily says:

Reading these comments has been such a relief. I’ve had stomach bugs before, but none have lasted as long as this one. I started vomiting last Wednesday morning — it’s Monday now and I’m still sick. I’m sure work think I’m making it up, but I just feel so poorly. Still tired, nauseous, and achey — not been sick since Friday, but the diahorrea just won’t go away. Got some Loperamide from the pharmacist, so hopefully that will help, because I just can’t take anymore time off work.

February 18, 2014 at 10:19 am
(95) Erica says:

I am so happy to see my family is not alone with this. Last week, around Wednesday, all three of us simultaneously came down with this “bug.” My husband and I were nauseated, diarrhea, body aches, the whole nine yards except for me, I wasn’t vomiting. My sister was vomiting, along with all the other terrible symptoms. I knew immediately that whatever this was, was spread through each other. Within a few days the diarrhea got much better then, today, came back with a vengeance for me. I feel so defeated because I truly felt like I was in the mend. We are all doing much better, but this diarrhea pop- back – up was a shocker. Anyone else experience this????

February 24, 2014 at 1:54 pm
(96) Amy says:

I’m in Kansas City. Had what I thought was severe heartburn on Valentines Day. Up all night, very painful. Same next day, but with nausea. By Sunday evening I was a rag doll on the bathroom floor. Violent, excrutiating, uncontrollable diarrhea like I’ve never experienced. After a solid 10 hours of that I’ve now settled into my ninth day of near constant nausea, intermittent stomach cramps, gas, bloating, weird stomach noises and on/off loose stools. I’m living on Pedialyte and broth. Trying to keep as much liquid probiotic down (fermented in coconut water based) as possible. Peppermint tea with raw honey helps as do warm baths for the awful back pain. I’m taking a protein drink by Amazing Grass and I put their super green powder, Raw Reserve, in it. Seems to help when I can stomach it. The Brags apple cider vinegar remedy doesn’t work for me no matter how much I dilute it….just wrecks my stomach. This is a really nasty bug.

February 24, 2014 at 4:40 pm
(97) Jennifer says:

Today is day 14 for me with this horrendous stomach virus or whatever it is. The first night was horrible, extreme vomiting, stomach cramps, upper back cramps that killed, chills, fever, nausea, etc. all that good stuff! I thought it was only going to be a one night thing so I got up and went to school in the morning but in second block I felt back pain come on and went home early. It seemed to have gotten worse a couple days into the bug, extreme nausea, wouldn’t eat anything. Long nights throwing up. (Well kind of forced myself too). Now I have my appetite back a little more, but when I eat I get severe stomach cramps and back cramps. That has gotten a little but better but still not cured. This is by far the worst sickness I have ever had in my life and I pray every night that I will be completely normal and healthy again soon. The heating pad is great in my back I don’t know what I would do without it. I just want to go back to school but afraid I will get the stomach and back pains while there. God help me I’m so done with being sick!!!!!!!!

February 24, 2014 at 4:48 pm
(98) Kendra says:

Most terrible thing I’ve ever gone through. I’ve had the stomach flu for weeks now. Abdominal cramping and back pain seem to be the last symptoms hangin on oretty good still. All the other symptoms are gone such as my fever, chills, nausea and what not. Ended up in the ER twice and urgent care twice. All told me the same thing and only prescribed me Zofran for the nausea- didn’t do much. I’ve missed work & afraid my boss may fire me. But it’s not my fault. Each morning I eat in hopes that it’s over but little to know just get knocked on my ass with stomach and back pains – that aren’t as severe as they were, but still uncomfortable. Hot baths are the only cure. & other hot things- like heating pads. I just want my health back, the stomach flu is THE worst and I will make sure I get my shots next year to avoid this. Good luck everyone !!!!! And get well. Drink lots of water because I was dehydrated at one point with dark orange urine & that’s not good! God bless.

February 25, 2014 at 4:19 am
(99) Aiden says:

Been having this strange symptom for awhile, I know for a fact I lost appetite. I can’t look at food the same anymore, only due to every time I try to eat even its one bite, my stomach which you can hear ends up making noises, and then giving it a minute pass and all hell breaks loose. I do get nausea, chills (even on a hot day) but when it’s cold outside I am fine, because it numbs the pain I get. When I get nausea or headaches, ice cubes usually helps ease the pain a bit. I do get vomiting but it is not as bad as everyone else, maybe similar. My biggest problem at current, is diarrhea and the loss of appetite. The loss of appetite, even if I don’t eat, I am not hungry either, I don’t crave for it. It’s like my brain is signaling to tell me not to eat cause if I do I have to go to the restroom for the outcome. It be nice to eat again, but with this…I can’t, and that being said I been stressing a lot lately and depression has set in, which isn’t good with my loss appetite. Be nice it just goes away, but no. I been having this for a month, and still counting.

February 26, 2014 at 5:23 am
(100) Jessy says:

Day 2 of this stomach virus and I feel like complete death. My stomach is so swollen, and I still can’t keep any fluids down. My head is pounding, my stomach is wrenching, and I have such bad nausea..when will this end?

February 28, 2014 at 4:26 am
(101) Jesse says:

My sister strted puking 2 days ago out of the blue, and she seemed to get over it in about a day. But she was puking so much that she was crying. Yesterday morning, I woke up around 7am having to run outside and puke. I ended up vomiting 5 times within 5 hours of then, and in order to stop dry heaving, I meeded to drink water so it didn’t hurt so much. Because of all the vomiting, my head, abdomen and back have been sore all day, and I’ve also had diarea all day too. The worst part though, is since I’ve gone to bed for the night, when I fall asleep, I lose control of my bowels. The last time this has happened was when I was little. I’m 21 now, and this is both disgusting and embarrassing. Any idea what to do?

April 8, 2014 at 8:35 am
(102) Troy says:

I’ve been struggling with upset stomach for about a week now. Then, just yesterday, I finally erupted into a bout of vomiting, shakes and chills. I rushed out of work, embarrassed. Today, I’m afraid to eat. Lots of stomach gurgling, eating very light. No diarrhea, though. I hope this doesn’t last long…

May 17, 2014 at 8:35 pm
(103) tasha says:

A few days ago I started having diarrhoea after eating. I thought nothing of it, I searched what it might be online, it said that I might need to take in more fibre and calciums and maybe iron. So I ate oranges for the vitamin c I tablets to help with the other vitamins I took iron tablets as I had just had a long heavy period so I figured it might be that but tonight I woke up I threw up until thwm