1. Health
Kristina Duda, R.N.

What Are 2014 Flu Symptoms?

By January 4, 2014

The 2013-2014 flu season has started picking up. Flu activity across the US is increasing and people everywhere are getting sick.

Are you concerned you might have the flu? Wondering what the 2014 flu symptoms are?

Flu symptoms for the 2013 - 2014 flu season are not significantly different than flu symptoms in past years.

They may include:

• Fever and Chills
  • Exhaustion
  • Body aches
  • Headache
  • Cough
  • Congestion
  • Vomiting or Diarrhea (more common in children)

These symptoms can all be caused by other illnesses as well so just because you are experiencing some of them, does not mean you have the flu. People who have the actual flu (influenza) typically describe it as feeling like they "got hit by a truck". Symptoms of the flu come on quickly and can linger for a week or more.

Twitter | Facebook | Google +

Comments
January 30, 2014 at 2:32 pm
(1) coldflu says:

Have you had the flu this year? Share your story! I got a nasty virus last week that came with body aches and headache and then came the cough and congestion but flu test was negative. Just one of those pesky “flu-like illnesses”. Miserable nonetheless.

February 1, 2014 at 1:04 pm
(2) Falicia says:

It has been a while since I have had the flu. But this year made up for all the years I was flu free! The body aches, fever 102.2 and headache came without any cough, congestion or sneezing. I just felt like was hit by a truck, car and then a bike for almost a week.

February 3, 2014 at 7:26 pm
(3) Dixie McVay says:

Have body aches. Fever 102 headaches, and chills. For 3 days now if I take pain medication of ibuprofen, Tylenol, and naproxen I control the aches and fever

February 12, 2014 at 8:35 am
(4) Jennifer says:

Has anyone has severe stomach pain with the flu? That is what I have along with the fever, headache , and body aches. No cold or cough.

February 13, 2014 at 7:44 am
(5) Planetman says:

Jennifer, yes I have had severe stomach pain for about 2.5 days. Including headaches, fever, chills, dehydration. I used alot of goldenseal and rest.

February 13, 2014 at 6:05 pm
(6) T.Morgan says:

When you experience a symptom of any type, it is an immune response from your body. The typical response from a sheep herd mentality is to take something to get rid of the symptoms. Pain killers are the favorite med to turn to. However, these lower your body’s ability to fight off the intrusion. When a flu virus tries to set up shop it will attack the T cells. Here they try to reproduce by using your body’s own cells. Yet our body is the greatest engendered machine ever created and the immune response is to produce a fever. Often low grade, a fever below 103 should be left alone in a healthy individual. When you run a fever the Tcells zip shut and prevent the virus to spread. Taking the medicine will reduce the fever and the virus will set in full force. Once the Tcells lose the frontlines the war will be all but lost. Depending on the person, you may find yourself in the ER fighting for your life. My advice, stay home, eat raw crunchy greens, drink lots of water, and let the fever run course. Furthermore, if the fever goes above 103 take the meds and see a gp.

February 15, 2014 at 11:13 am
(7) skh4you says:

Have been sick for over a week. All the usual, started out like a cold, sore throat, congestion, cough, but a few days later hit with the chills, pain in bronchial area and extreme body aches. And the aches will go away and keep coming back. Hadn’t read any advice previously to not take pain relievers. Interesting. To tell the truth, these are some deep body aches and the otc pain relievers were alleviating them some but not killing them. I did have some stomach cramps yesterday but they passed. Didn’t know if they might be from OTC meds.

This morning, lots of sinus pressure and the associated headache. Dry cough still. No more bronchial pain.Looking forward to the day when the body aches don’t return, because then I think I’ll feel I beat it. My daughter, cousin, and a few friends have had this virus and it all lasted longer than normal for them. Hope everyone here gets well soon.

February 21, 2014 at 12:23 pm
(8) Casey says:

I started coming down with a cough on a Monday. It continued into Tuesday, but I was still up and moving. By early afternoon I was freezing with chills. I went to bed early. By Wednesday I began running a temp and it increased as the day went on going up to 102.7. I had extreme body aches especially in my legs, back of neck, and lower back. The headache was very sharp. I had no appetite. The fever continued into Thursday with fatigue, coughing and continued aches. Wednesday afternoon my nose began running. I have had no sore throat just extreme irritation in my bronchial tubes. When I lie down on my right side I can hear wheezing in my lungs and each time I roll over it makes me cough. The cough has been somewhat productive, but not a lot. I am very fatigued today, Friday. I still have a headache and a low grade fever.

February 23, 2014 at 11:52 pm
(9) Rey says:

I currently feel like pa-tuey, with what feels to be fever, but only 98 degrees and a spliting headache. I actually have been hit by a truck, and this does not feel like so. Getting hit by a truck actually doesnt feel that bad, except for a huge bruise.

February 25, 2014 at 4:08 am
(10) mel says:

I def understand not taking things to let your body’s immune system work…but this is NOT one of them. The fever with the flu I had( h1n1) was getting up to 106 if you don’t take Tylenol (anti-pyretic) to control the fever it can be life threatening …horrible horrible headache..High fever..chills and shakes… severe body aches. .. pneumonia followed

February 25, 2014 at 5:13 pm
(11) Jennifer says:

I’m in the last days of it…I HOPE! No coughing or congestion here either, but vomiting, diarrhea, sharp pains in the gut, and a fever up to 102.8 and resting pulse rate over 135 >.< Doing the BRAT diet (banana, rice, applesauce, toast) thing to mildly get back to life.

February 26, 2014 at 11:57 am
(12) rich says:

I was sneezing and sore throat last week, now this week very queasy stomach, dizziness, feeling like I wanna vomit, sore neck, diarehha, dehydration, and anxiety. Anyone get this??

February 26, 2014 at 10:59 pm
(13) Jim says:

Felt like I got hit by a freight train on Monday afternoon. Went home early from work, drank some OJ and took a short nap. Had a fever of 104 that evening. Took some ibuprofen and went to bed. Felt really lethargic the next day. No work, had more OJ and rest. Felt a bit more energy on day 3 but really tired by days end. Is this the flu?

February 27, 2014 at 8:17 pm
(14) sarrah says:

I’m on day 10 of this flu. None of the OTC meds have touched the high fever or muscle cramping and pain in my lower back, abdomen and legs. It started with sneezing followed by a dry cough then high fever and sore throat. Two days later I had a more productive cough and felt like the muscles in my neck w were bruised and swollen on one side. Now I have a low fever, am dehydrated, sinus pressure, headache,and excruciating pain in my legs and lower back – just want to feel 100% better

March 1, 2014 at 8:35 pm
(15) Nicole says:

I’m on day 47 and still feel terrible. Tested positive for influenza A on January 13. First 7 days were terrible with low fever but severe aches, fatigue and headache/sore throat. The following 7 days were the worst chest congestion ever. Had to use an inhaler and take steroids. Thought I was on the mend and just tired the following 2 weeks when fever spiked again and dr said I had a bacterial infection. Took antibiotics for 10 days, felt better for a week and now I’m really dizzy, racing heart, sinus pressure, muscle cramps and stomach ache with loose stools all day today. Decongestants won’t even work on the sinus pressure. I read on a UK blog that people who have gotten this years flu have sometimes been sick for two months or longer. This is terrible but I do feel lucky to be alive after it all!

March 4, 2014 at 7:27 pm
(16) Stomach flu says:

For seven deaths from H1N1 flu virus better known as swine flu, reported by California State Department of Public Health . All deaths under the age of 65.
Still continued investigation of 28 deaths in California , in order to determine whether they are caused by the swine flu. The number of children who died from H1N1 swine flu to 01/10/2014 in Texas was 5. And there continue to monitor the increase of people infected with this flu strain .

March 11, 2014 at 10:30 pm
(17) Joanne says:

DON’T KNOW IF I HAVE THE FLU OR NOT. EVERY MUSCLE IN MY BODY SORE, CAN HARDLY WALK OR ROLL OVER IN BED. FEVER 101, 5 NO HEAD COLD, NO COUGH OR CONGESTION, BUT NAUSEA AND DRY HEAVES. TOOK NOTHING TO BRING DOWN THE FEVER. TOUGHED IT OUT. 3RD DAY NOW. I’M 78 YRS. OLD. FEEL VERY, VERY SICK. AND, YES, I HAD THE FLU SHOT IN NOVEMBER. BEST TO KEEP NOSE AND MOUTH COVERED WHEN IN PUBLIC. HAVE TO WORK ON MY IMMUNE SYSTEM TO KEEP IT HEALTHY. NEED TO CUT BACK ON SUGAR. WHEN I WAS YOUNG, MY OLD-TIMER GERMAN FATHER-IN-LAW RECOMMENDED ELDERBERRY. ECHINACEA DIDN’T WORK THIS TIME, BUT ONCE I TOOK ONE CAPSULE EVERY DAY FOR ONE MONTH AND WAS NOT SICK FOR TWO YEARS.

March 13, 2014 at 2:25 pm
(18) Sarah says:

I think I have the flu. I have a tempature of 102 body aches, sore throat, headache, my eyes hurt, dry cough, and my neck hurt really bad. My 1 year old son was hospitalized for pnemonia for 2 days and when he was released yesterday my body aches started. I thought it was probably from sleeping in a chair but when I got home I started in with chills and went to sleep. Now today it feels like a semi truck hit me. Every time I stand I feel like I might pass out. Is this all normal for the flu?

March 26, 2014 at 1:31 pm
(19) Dan says:

about 5 weeks of crap really dizzy night sweats drenched, chest hurt can’t cough up any flem but feels like it s in there, lay on side and lung area hurts, had very low pulse rate, and tired, no energy, sleep fine had blood tests done all good , went in for a stress test, was good now going in for chest stuff. Went on vacation in warmer area took easy took a z pack was good for dizziness but chest still weird. sick of being sick. More people here with same crap some on inhalers .FLU!!

April 6, 2014 at 12:34 pm
(20) Lori says:

I have been sick 4 times this season. This one I am fighting now I think is the flu. 3 people came into work, an office on the same day with a sore throat and sick feeling. It has turned into sneezing, running nose. aching arms and back. just feeling awful..

April 8, 2014 at 11:43 am
(21) sandy says:

It all started with what I thought was an allergy with clear plegm, stuffy nose and cough. After a week, it turned into a real cold with green plegm, stuffy nose and big cough. Yesterday, I had the chills and was freezing even though it was 85 degrees. My whole body hurt, my head felt spacy and I had no appetite. I felt a nauseous. My temperature was 101. I took aspirin and the temp went away, but came back this morning. I am still achey and feel awful. I hope this goes away soon..

April 16, 2014 at 8:18 pm
(22) Lisa says:

People, people, people………Please check your blood pressure daily approx. mid-day after eating and sitting up for a while. Especially those who take BP medications. I have similar symptoms to those posted by all of you but couldn’t understand the weakness feeling till it “hit me” maybe I should test my BP. Low & behold is was low 113/74, which is very low for my average read which can and will give you that feeling of weakness. Call your Doctor, ask if you can take half the dosage until you recover or make an appointment for the Doctor to determine what course of action should be taken while you are on the mend. One more thing the if any of you are taking the antibiotic AVELOX it is very, very dangerous and can cause very low BP. It is used for many ailments ex: Bronchitis, Pneumonia, Bacterial Infections etc. . The generic name is: Moxifloxacin. Be careful it stays in your system at least a week after treatment. Please research it on the internet it is DEADLY! Be healthy & God Bless!

April 20, 2014 at 10:07 pm
(23) Jeannine says:

Jennifer I have also had really bad stomached pain my husband also

April 20, 2014 at 11:51 pm
(24) Mrs. says:

Husband sick for second time in 5 weeks. First time was 12 hours of vomiting followed by week long recovery. Same day I was stricken with severe respiratory flu that took 2-weeks to recover from. We managed to prevent passing our illnesses to each other. This time he started complaining about a headache, body tingling, and generally not feeling good. Overnight he had chills and sleeplessness. Today he had chills, sweats, low appetite, fatigue, tingling in arms and headache. His digestive system has been normal as has normal urine. He did specifically mention back of legs being sore. We did yard work yesterday and he did burn some branches, which I noticed some mold growth on one. I thought he may have gotten sick from inhaling the burning branches, but that’s just speculation. He says he feels like he has a cold but he isn’t coughing, sneezing, and no sore throat. Poor guy. Get well everyone.

April 24, 2014 at 1:07 pm
(25) Conor says:

started as a scratchy chest / cough, Then fever 102, test negative for flu,
Fever lasts 2 days with headache, chills, body aches, etc. Fever breaks then kind of ok for a day then major cold and sinus, and cough for a few days.