1. Health
Kristina Duda, R.N.

Flu Symptoms 2013

By January 8, 2013

2013 is here and it brought a really bad flu season with it! The 2012-13 flu season got off to an unusually early start when the flu started spreading rapidly in late November and early December. It is already the worst seasonal flu we have seen in almost a decade.

Flu Symptoms for 2013

As for symptoms, seasonal flu symptoms typically don't change much year after year, but they aren't always as bad as this year's seem to be. Flu symptoms such as fever, body aches, cough and sore throat are lasting as long as 7 to 10 days for most people who have had the flu this season and they definitely aren't mild.

Does The Flu Vaccine Work This Year?

Although it doesn't work perfectly for everyone, the flu vaccine is well matched to the strains of flu circulating during the 2012-13 flu season. This means that most people who are vaccinated are able to avoid the flu or at least experience milder symptoms if they do get it. On January 11th, the CDC released initial estimates from ongoing studies that indicate the flu vaccine has about a 62% efficacy rate, which is pretty good. This means if you have been vaccinated, you are 62% less likely to get the flu than someone who hasn't.

Think you might have the flu?

If you have had the flu during the 2012 - 2013 flu season, share you experience here. Let us know what is was like for you and what flu symptoms you and your family members experienced.

-----------------------------------------------

Twitter | Facebook | Google +

Comments
January 24, 2013 at 1:56 pm
(1) mon says:

Never in my life would I have thought that the flu was this bad. I am on day 4.of this horrible virus. Day one was a dry cough, not very consistent but just sort of ayrckle down my throat sensation.. by the end of the afternoon I felt like I had been hit by a car. Turns out I had a feverof 100.7 byvthe evening I had a headache all over my forehead and top of my head. Day two. 103 temp that even with ibuprofen I couldnt bring down below 101.7 still had ocassional cough, headachebody ache. 3rd day went to doc to get tamiflu. I started getting a bit of runny nose along with the previous symptoms. Atleast now my cough became a bit more. productive. Last night broke out in heavy sweats. This morning I still have slight fever. A headachevis still present coughing more frequently with some phlem my ea are clogged every so often and my nose drips without any control over it. My advice to everyone is to getvthe flu shot each year. I wish I had. Just for the record I am a healthy person in my mid thirties that used a lot of hand sanitizers and hand washes frequently and still caught this.

February 1, 2013 at 7:53 pm
(2) Ann g says:

feb 1, 2013 4 th day of the Flu, I did have the Flu shot, started with all night dry cough & pounding headache, then onto aches, fever chills, the headache still each day, cough is now somewhat productive, but my nasal air passages & throat feel parched & dry, throat burning sensation. thought today I was a lot better, but after a warm shower later in the day, fever returned scale of 1-10 I am now about a 5.5. hope this goes away soon

February 2, 2013 at 8:17 pm
(3) Abby says:

We’ve created a website that tracks flu reports from all over the wold. All data is publicly displayed on the interactive map here: http://www.germtrax.com – hopefully this is helpful and/or interesting!

February 2, 2013 at 11:43 pm
(4) H.W. in Northern California says:

I am on day 6 of this awful thing. It started out suddenly with the aches and chills with a fever around 100 to 101. Five hours later I had a fever of 103.9 that 650mg of acetaminophen and 400 mg of ibuprofen could not bring down. An hour later I took 400 more mg of ibuprofen (which my husband had to bring to me because I was so achey I couldn’t get out of bed). and the fever finally broke. My fever stayed around 100 to 101 for the next 3 days and I had a dry cough the 2nd day along with a tingly and dry throat ache. End of day 4 went to MD to get tested for strep (going around my kid’s school) which I was negative for. The following morning (day 5) I woke up fever free and felt so much better compared to when I had the fever even though I was now conjested, had a sore throat and a cough (it more wet and productive, at least ). Thought my bout with it was over. WRONG! The fever is now back around 100 to 101 along with the aches and chills. After reading other testimonials I’m pretty sure I have this year’s flu and really hoping it lasts only the 7 days and not the 10 days. Hope this helps someone with the same symptoms. Take tons of ibuprofen and rest would be my advice.

February 4, 2013 at 4:32 pm
(5) Terri says:

Just turned 65 and had the worst flu in decades. 8 hours of throwing up and incredible weakness. It is day 3 and I am not pulling out of this very well as far as continued nausea and incredible weak. Dr said if the vomiting re-continues to check into the hospital. And yes I had the flu shot, took precuartions and still got majorly sick. After the vomiting stopped took Drs. advice (over phone) and found Pepto Bismo healing somewhat and ginger ale. Stay well all. This stuff is scarrey.

February 4, 2013 at 6:32 pm
(6) A MItch says:

Yes this season is the all time worst for me and many others.I got the flu several days after thanksgiving and I still have symptoms 4 months later.From 2 chest xrays to sinus exrays all showing the residual of this virus and am told time its the flu infection only time will heal it. Coughing and nose blowing has become a drudge
I like everyone else have had chills, fever, weaknes, fatigue, vertigo and this insuferable cough and full head.Am using a puffer nasal spray and meds and still it persists.
It has gone,….. then returned with a vengance 2ice in the 4 months and I for one don’t want to be around anyone with similar symptoms now. I wish anyone who has been the flu recipient well wish for a healthy recovery

February 5, 2013 at 2:20 pm
(7) north Carolina says:

I came down with the flu symptoms about 4 days ago. IT HIT me like a train hour by hour I felt myself and energy depleting by the minute. Finally I got up and went to the ER. My feet hurt so bad and my eyes watered so bad and body ached so bad I thought I was gonna die. I got some Tamiflu and I’m on day 5 the symptoms sore throat, watery eyes went away but my body still aches a little and I cough a little but I’m still tired no energy. I wouldn’t wish this on nobody. I hope I get better and everyone else.

February 7, 2013 at 2:42 pm
(8) MonSyl says:

Hi – I had the flu shot. Obviously, it didn’t cover this season’s strain. It hit me hard. The last time I had the flu was about 15 years ago. I’ve always had the typical cold, but nothing like this. This morning, I took my temp (which has been 100+ the last 3 days) and it was normal. Then, not too long ago I started feeling cold and my fingers were tingling. I jacked up the furnace, and even at 70 deg in my house… I was cold. I am hoping going back to bed for more rest and some tylenol will ease the discomfort. The last thing I need is to go to the ER and wait 3 hrs for a quick exam only to have someone tell me I have the flu “so go home.” :( Good luck everyone.

February 8, 2013 at 2:25 am
(9) Ervana says:

I got all the symptoms noted here within a day. In addition, I pee and pass gas when I cough, this began toward the end of the first day. I had showered with very warm water and thereafter went walking to the store late evening, instantly I became sick. This was my fault for being careless.

February 12, 2013 at 4:46 pm
(10) Rosebudd56 says:

I have had the flu since mid January. First attack it lasted a few days no fever just coughing and ache body, horse voice. Second attack felt fatigue chills and still no fever just coughing in the morning and at night. I felt so much better than the first attack. I thought great I am on the road to getting better. Wrong! I finally came down with a fever by taking Alka Seltzer Plus Cold and it brought it out with the body aches still the coughing and now my head hurts and I have congestion and I sweated out the fever. Day 2 I am feeling much better still a little fatigue so I stayed in bed and rested taking the Alka Seltzer. Day 3 I am feeling better the headache is gone, I still have congestion and slight coughing not as bad as the 1st and second attack. I had canceled my appts to the md because everytime I made one I felt I was healing and the tought of paying the co-pay. I figured I can beat this thing naturally. Hot green-tea with lemon, soups and Alka Seltzer cold tablets seem to be working so far.

February 12, 2013 at 10:24 pm
(11) Peggy says:

day 1 ) Morning ..slight sore throat, leg aches, bronchitis. and slight headache. Afternoon …all symptoms getting worse, add a dry cough. I went to the doctor. He said it was a cold and gave me antibiotics . I asked for a flu test . Doc refused , Said they did not work..Night… Fever 100.5 all above symptoms including massive headache chills and sweats. taking aspirin for aches and pains/fever. Dinner had soup and salad.
day 2) Fever 102.7 all symptoms above including vomiting all day., diarrhea.. ice pack for headache. Aspirin every 4 hours. Called doctor and got tamaflu and pain medicine.Too sick to drive to see the doctor. Could not eat. Drank lots of ginger ale and water. Vomited it up.took tamaflu at 5pm.Hubby got it for me.Did not eat all day.
day 3) fever 101.5 symptoms less. Headache is gone. Dehydration sets in. I run to the rest room a good 2 hours . just liquids running through me.I did not make it a few times. Bodily functions out of control. :( . I am no longer vomiting. Drank Gatorade, orange juice and ginger ale to keep hydrated. Ate dinner chicken soup.
day 4) symptoms have changed. night sweats. woke up . no fever. :)
Chest aches, coughing up flam.
day 5) same as day 4. day 6) coughing up more mucus wet cough and chest hurts. I am going into day 7. I hope it is over SOON! Good luck everyone.

February 18, 2013 at 1:52 pm
(12) arioch says:

Just an update to your information….the virus that is causing this season’s fairly bad flu epidemic is NOT contained in this year’s flu vaccine. The vaccine is useless against it. And do not allow doctors or hospitals to vaccinate you while you are ill…if you have an allergic reaction to the adjuvents while ill (not to mention further stress to your immune system by adding another live virus) it could make your illness far worse.

February 20, 2013 at 11:42 am
(13) becky says:

fighting the flu right now,i have 3 children, my husband and myslef. My daughter had it last week and still has a terrible cough, she then went ahead and had to share it with my husband, my son and me. the only one who has been lucky is my youngest son. i have been fighting this bug since saturday, it started with a really bad headache, then moved to the fever and bodyaches, now coughing and running nose along with all the rest of it. I feel like I have been knocked down my a truck and it just keeps hitting reverse and playing lets keep her down.I hope the truck runs out of gas soon, I’m done with this.

February 20, 2013 at 9:00 pm
(14) jen says:

I’m on day 1 of which I’m sure is the flu.I woke up with a mild cough and a horrible headache this mornibg around 7Am it is now 8 pm and i feel 50′/. Worse I’m now running a temp of 102.5 I’ve thrown up 5 times i can’t quit coughing my hole body hurts Im so cold i cant get warm even though i have my heat on 73 which is abnormal for me.I’ve taken tyelnol.ibprophen. abd robitussin nothing is helping. Any advice.

February 24, 2013 at 12:34 am
(15) Wil says:

I have this new strain of flu and that by itself wouldn’t be much to talk about since everyone is getting it but…I’ve never had the flu shot and the last time I was sick was about 7 years ago.

It came on hard with headaches and runny nose so I just fought back with sovereign silver in a nebulizer. I felt better the 2nd day then it hit again with unproductive cough and aches, etc.

This time I used all 3 powerful virus fighters and just about clear up everything within 4 days.

I still have a runny nose and slight cough but mostly it’s gone.

Here’s what I did that’s a 3 pronged aproach.
sovereign silver in nebulizer 3 times per day.
sovereign silver orally 3 times per day.
grape fruit seed (GSE) pill 3 times per day
grape fruit seed nasal spray 3 times per day
oil of oregano (78% carvacrol) 2 times per day…in root beer

Please read up on some side effects for people with heart meds as you should NOT use GSE.

Otherwise silver & oil of oregano are safe in low dosages.

Good luck everyone and speedy receovery!

March 1, 2013 at 10:02 pm
(16) shirley in dallas texas says:

I caught what I believed was a cold but this has lasted for six days now. Glad I do not have to go to work each day. Started with a sore throat, that lasted only a day. Then the next day I had nasal drainage that would not stop. I never took my temperature but I was warmer than usual, so took Advil (3 of them). I would sneeze a lot. My body didn’t ache like the flu (I have had it but years ago) but I was tired, very tired. I had a flu shot this year (I am 58), I made my husband get his very first shot (he is 63). He hasn’t got this crud yet, hopefully he won’t. I drank a great a mount of orange juice, took Nyquil and I have been getting a lot of rest. If I do too much work around the house, when I am thinking I am better, I relapse. I will be glad when this goes away.

March 6, 2013 at 5:53 pm
(17) acne vulgaris says:

Hmm it looks like your site ate my first comment (it was
extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I’m still new to everything. Do you have any tips for beginner blog writers? I’d definitely appreciate it.

March 7, 2013 at 9:09 am
(18) sunless tanning spray while pregnant says:

I am regular visitor, how are you everybody? This paragraph posted at this web
site is actually pleasant.

My page: sunless tanning spray while pregnant

March 10, 2013 at 3:15 pm
(19) Cary G. says:

My 9 year old daughter has the flu, and today is day # 9. First the doc thought it was a bacterial infection. Gave her Omniceph (sp?) antibiotic, and a DM cough medicine. The cough she had was and has been very croupy. Sounds like she has pneumonia. But her lungs are clear, say the doctor. We eventually got a better cough med so she could sleep thru the night (tussinex, sp?). Coughing persists to the point she throws up, and at night she’ll cough so bad it sounds like she’s drowning. Symptoms from day one have been consistently bad and never getting better. So doc thinks it’s the flu (since antibiotics have not been effective). So doc gave a pediatric steroid to help reduce bronchial inflammation which is attributing to her terrible cough. After first day of doses of the steroid, she woke with a swollen face and red cheeks. They told me that’s a normal side effect of steroids. We’re going back to the doc tomorrow. Approaching her second week home from school. Next year, we WILL get the flu shot!

March 12, 2013 at 4:25 pm
(20) Bill says:

On day 7 of the flu. Day one started with a dry cough but felt OK on day 2. That night got very achy and had low grade fever. Slept for 12 hours that night and added 6 more hours the next day. Fever never got higher than 100.5, but was achy for the next four days. Now I’m not achy, but very little energy and still have chest congestion that I am concerned might turn into pneumonia. I’ve had that 3 times before. Haven’t had this in years. Always get the flu shot. First time it didn’t work. Good luck to everyone on the road to recovery.

March 12, 2013 at 9:54 pm
(21) On the mend says:

This is brutal as others can relate. I’m on day 5 but with some improvements. It begins with vomiting and chills followed by fever,aching and a dry cough. Someone mentioned feeling like they were hit by a train and the feeling is probably similar. Actually wondered if I cracked any ribs. Day 3 went to see a Doctor who diagnosed it as a virual infection. The treatment: water, rest, tylenol and any over the counter flu medicine. None of these seems to have a marked impact and it is probably time that is winning.
I can completely understand why this particular strain could kill a person with a compromised system.
So the ginger/honey tea, water, sleep and stamina seem to be what is working. Oh, I also take an anti hystamine at night which opens up the nasal passage so I can sleep. It is comforting to know I am not alone and I wish everyone a speedy recovery.

March 14, 2013 at 10:52 am
(22) Dale H says:

Just went on a Norwegian Cruise Lines for 7 day cruise. Our Norwegian Dawn ship left Tampa on March 3 and on the second last nite of our cruise I started coughing , and bam it hit like a ton of bricks. Head felt big cough so bad my gut hurts. It is now 4 days latter and I don’t feel much better. Will head to doctor tomorrow. Don’t think I will cruise again. Not much fun in the Cabin.

March 16, 2013 at 3:02 pm
(23) Patel says:

I am 27 year old and first time I got flu. I was feeling I will die and it takes 12 days to getting better. It was long time ago,but still I feel no energy.

March 17, 2013 at 12:32 pm
(24) Sheryl says:

Day 3! It hit me within 5 minutes of getting home Friday. I’m a teacher and I’m on my break!! I had a fever of 101. Chills, aches, coughing. Everything hurts. I don’t want my husband or son to get this. I took Coricidin HBP cold and flu. Helps for a bit. My throat is on fire and I can’t keep from getting cotton mouth. Take care everyone. I want corned beef!!!

March 17, 2013 at 5:36 pm
(25) Anne says:

Thanks everyone who has posted. Misery loves company. I am 68, had a flu shot and am on day 5. Fatigue, lack of appetite and deep,cough remain. Yes to fluids, rest etc and I think it is a great suggestion to rest rest rest. Every time I get up to resume some activity I feel so tired I need to run back to bed. Scary.

March 20, 2013 at 11:45 am
(26) AVA says:

My experience: woke up Saturday, felt a little weak but went about my day and shopped, etc. Came home late afternoon, legs started aching – and major headache (I NEVER GET HEADACHES) – took bayer aspirin, drank OJ, water and Odwalla Blackberry, fever 102 and rising, Sunday, felt like I had been hit with a MACK truck, every inch of my body hurt, started taking Nyquil – drank the whole damn bottle at least I could sleep which is primarily all I did on Sunday and Monday, Tuesday, still very weak, but fever down a bit and productive cough, still nauseous but I am not a vomiter….no appetite but forced myself to eat a spinach salad last night, no it is Wednesday and I am having major coughing attacks but I do feel like I am doing a bit better…. I will GET the flu shot next year…..even if it didn’t encompass this nasty strain….I finally got the energy today to wash my sheets (bleached them) – taking more Mucinex and aspirin now and I have an appt. at 2pm so I hope I make it……So I am FIVE days into this – and praying it will end soon:)

March 20, 2013 at 6:44 pm
(27) Karen says:

I came down with the flu on Christmas eve, 2012. As others here have commented, it was quite bad for about 5 days. It took two weeks before I had energy to do the usual daily routines; by week three, I was able to go back to work part time. The worst part has been the fatigue that comes afterwards: it took 8 weeks before my energy seemed to return, however, today (12 weeks later) I am experiencing a relapse of the fatigue. My doctor says she is seeing a lot of patients with the same sort of relapse. To avoid it, you need to be careful not to do too much too soon. Rest is essential, as is good nutrition: protein, healthy fats and vegetables, but take it easy on the carbs. So for anyone else out there who is still feeling tired post-flu, even many weeks after you first came down with it, this is to say don’t get discouraged, you’re not alone, take care of yourself and you will be better eventually.

March 20, 2013 at 8:31 pm
(28) Tara says:

Started 12 days ago with low grade fever, no other symptoms. Then at day three body aches hit me all of a sudden, and they are worse some days better others. I am not getting much sleep with a newborn, so I figure that’s why it’s lasting so long. Ear ache hit me day 6. Sore throat hit me day 8. Still have body aches at day 12.

March 30, 2013 at 2:23 pm
(29) Peggy says:

I was on vacation in cabo for spring break with my family. I’m 53. Started coughing on Wednesday. Thursday while laying in the sun I felt like I had a fever and was aching all over. Felt like my lungs were on fire. Friday traveled home direct flight thank god. Went straight to bed. I have 101.3 fever still. Coughing up phlem but hurts so bad. I feel like I got hit by a truck. I had the flu shot and can’t believe I feel this bad. Sunday Easter. If this doesn’t get better by Monday I’m going to the doctor.

April 1, 2013 at 7:46 pm
(30) jim says:

Started mid Saturday with muscle aches and fatigue. Worked in the garden all day Saturday but had very little energy and tingling on my arms and back. When I got home I realized that I probably got the flu my daughter just recovered from. My symptoms were severe headache and muscle ache all over my body. Energy was completely drained and I could barely move. Did not want any liquids or food. Body very sensitive to cold and had sweats that night. Stayed in bed on Sunday until noon. Drank a few sips of sparkling water only because I knew I probably should. Took Theraflu and felt 50% better in about 1 hour. Got severe diareaha on Monday. Very weak with naseau but no throwing up yet. Eating toast only and water. I had a flu shot in November!! Daughter had same symptoms as me but her sickness only lasted about 4 days.

April 3, 2013 at 7:34 pm
(31) Littlechum says:

My 12 year old had the flu last week, and the rest of the family soon followed. We all had/have the same symptoms. It starts with a fever around 101, then body aches, dry cough, sore throat, and then congestion. It lasted in my son 5 days, husband now on day 6, I’m on day 3, and daughter on day 2. All but hubby got flu shot.

April 4, 2013 at 7:59 pm
(32) Natalie says:

20 weeks pregnant got the flu from my 3 year old daughter. She was diagnosed with Flu strain B a week ago. She was treated for possible pneumonia with Zithromax and now with a worse cough is onAugmentin. I started yesterday with lower back pain and general joint pain followed by Short of breath, fever, stuffy nose with drainage. I just feel weak all over. I can only take Tylenol. It has helped the fever. We both got the flu shot in August. This is her second bout. She had Flu A a week before x-mas. Our doctor said get te mist next year the shot is not as effective. I think the CDC put a weak batch and poor match out this year. Seems like it just was a poor vaccine. This seems so late to be still getting the flu.

April 12, 2013 at 7:57 pm
(33) Markesha in Florida says:

I felt fine, then around 3:00 this morning, what started as a sore throat and dry cough, became body aches, fever and fluctuating body temps at 8:30 this morning. I’ve never had the flu, but I feel like death. I went to the pharmacy to get all of my meds I knew I’d need and made sure I have enough vials for my nebulizer since I am an asthmatic. The lower half of my body feels like I’ve been hit my a truck. While standing in line today, all of the cashiers seemed to be having prolonged conversations with the customer in front of me, and I felt like I was going to scream. I can’t bear the standing and moving right now. I took DayQuil earlier and was out for, 5hours. I did a bit of sweating. Then I drank a hot toddy and sweat some more. I’m drinking lots of fluids and eating soup. Hopefully, my strong immune system will speed up the process. I had waking pnumonia in 2006, so this is the first time in 7 years I’ve been sick. And I’m 26.

April 14, 2013 at 6:54 pm
(34) Brenda says:

I live in Northern California and havent had the flu since i dont know when. But today is day 9 and the only symptom i have left is my throat still really hurts and now i am getting a dry cough and runny nose.

The massive body aches and fever have all subsided. thank God. it was really long and unpleasant. I had no stomach discomfort.

Energy level is slow to return. Im taking it slow and easy.

April 17, 2013 at 12:22 am
(35) kina says:

It was hell each kid got it one at a time for only 3 days then the cough for over 2 weeks. Then i got sick and then had throwing up and diarrea round the clock. 3every 30 minutes for 6 hour staight. I was ready go go to hospital at midnight. Now april 16 i have flu again coughing fevery achey what the hell never been so sick. Mother of 4 eat organic slim. Its crap.

April 17, 2013 at 12:29 am
(36) kina says:

Did i mention i already had the flu. How can i get the same flu. Damn vitamins r not working. Drink coconut water.

April 17, 2013 at 10:46 pm
(37) Kate says:

I’m on day 8 of the Flu (tested positive for Flu B). As I was on my way home last Wednesday evening, I began to feel a little tired. By the time I got home (less than 1 hour), I was aching all over, extremely tired, and had a high fever with sweats and chills. I stayed home from work the next day – felt achey, tired, and did not realize until later that evening that I still had a fever – it was over 101. I stayed home to rest the next day, but felt worse and worse as the day went along. I was out of breath just walking across a room or having even a simple conversation. My pulse was over 100. I was urinating every 30 minutes, despite not drinking water due to feeling nausea. I went to an Urgent Care center, where they tested for and diagnosed me with Flu B, and prescribed Tamiflu. By late Sunday, I was at least able to talk without getting out of breath, but was otherwise still very weak and had a fever of 101. I got a call from the lab, telling me that I also had a mild UTI – so now antibiotics are added. Fast forward 3 more days, and now tonight – the 8th day – I finally do not have a fever. At least not tonight. I feel a lot better, but still tire easily. I will work from home tomorrow, for precaution. I’m hopeful that I’m finally over this thing now! I will NEVER again make any comments like “just the flu.”

April 19, 2013 at 10:53 pm
(38) Molly says:

I am on day 2! I’ve never had the flu before until now. Yesterday I woke up with a sore throat then an hour later I was in bed shaking and aching! I have diarrhea and my body aches are so terrible I lay here and cry! I will be getting the flu shot from here on out. I start feeling better for a little while then BAM fever and aches are back!! I don’t even know when I’ll be over this mess!!!

April 22, 2013 at 9:16 pm
(39) SandyG says:

Symptoms began Friday evening with excessive sneezing and a head congestion. At first, I thought it was allergies. But the constant sneezing and nose drip indicated otherwise. Saturday I had nose drip, sneezing,slight cough,it hurt behind my eyes, head ache, neck ache, and the beginnings of a body ache. By evening on Saturday my entire body ached and every sneeze or cough hurt my head. I was sleeping quite a bit and would wake with a bit of a damp pillow as if I had been sweating the entire time while sleeping. I’m certain I had a fever most of Saturday and into Sunday, although I never took my temperature.
Appetite was curiously improved on Saturday compared to Friday, but on Sunday it subsided again and Sunday was spent in bed with the same symptoms as Saturday. Today is Monday and I have spent the entire day in bed coughing. I have no body aches except the mild head ache. My lungs feel full of phlem, and I have been coughing that up readily. My appetite has diminished as I’ve only had about 6 oz of juice all day and just now at 6pm forced myself to eat a hard boiled egg and a few sips of tea.
I believe I became infected on Tuesday, my birthday, when a relative was mentioning feeling unwell. I had not been in contact with anyone else who looked sick, or mentioned being/feeling sick.
It seems to fall within the range of incubation.
Interestingly enough, the person whom I suspect was my source of infection, never developed full symptoms as I did. She is younger by about 15 years.

April 25, 2013 at 1:44 pm
(40) Patsy says:

I am on week 5, I’ve had 2 lots of anti-biotics and am now on the mend but I still feel very weak. Wish I could get some energy.

April 27, 2013 at 10:24 pm
(41) Stacey says:

4th day of low grade fever but only in the afternoon accompanied with dry cough ,cold,chills & fatigue.MD started me on Biaxin..don’t know what kind of virus I’ve got..hoping to get better..hate being sick especially when you have 3 small kids…

May 4, 2013 at 8:36 pm
(42) Carl says:

all comments seem american so heres a UK one – i got it now day 3/4 i think – 1st day was a dry throat felt like it was just a sore throat nothing to worry. 2nd day felt okay then went out at night and by end of night i fealt like id been hit in the head with a baseball bat.
day 3 woke up weak tired (was a late night anyway and woke early) but felt weaker than i normally would and all day i feel like my head is a heavy weight – hurts to put on my pillow which is very handy (last time it was like that i had swine flu but by reports its not going around i had beaten it once already so cant be that just a bad head)
day 4 early hours of day4 nose seems to be like a tap – sore throat doesnt feel very present at all but head still like i hit with a baseball bat.
pain killers dont dent it much

May 5, 2013 at 6:58 pm
(43) Miranda Lockhart says:

I am on day 8 and I have a headache from hell still. Throbbing and ponding makes it almost impossible to complete daily activities. Also running a low grade fever 99.3.- 99.8. At first I had this awful headache neck aching and legs aching. Dizziness with a nauseous feeling did vomit once. I have never been in this much pain with nothing to relieve it. Finally was able to get fiorecet from the dr but at this point it is not effective. I am trying to b patient and let these germs run its course but I am also ready to have some relief from my neck and head pounding.

May 6, 2013 at 9:43 pm
(44) redsam says:

Reading the above comments, what I noticed is that the doctors, when involved/consulted, were not aggressive in prescribing antivirals at all…I am 61 and am on day 3 of the thing. Fever, congestion, and cough…but the cough is the worst…my entire gut has been hurting due to the cough. I can’t breathe and see stars at the peak (or is it the trough) of the bout….I also scared myself looking at my reflection during a severe bout…Have not been to the doctor yet…but my wife did go to a MedCheck place and the doctor there did not even ask if she was vaccinated. Her diagnosis was a ‘cold’. I have had cold before, and this ain’t no cold. But my main beef is why don’t the doctors give you tamiflu/relenza across the board when 2 or 3 of the other symptoms are there along with fever…is there a problem with it? The advertisements on the tele literally bombard you to ask your doctor this, ask your doctor that…with an elephant thrown in for good measure….My thesis is that the regular run of the mill GPs don’t seem to be giving a damn about flu as much as they do for other illnesses.

May 8, 2013 at 10:26 am
(45) lori says:

My family had flu virus* high fever, body aches and headaches* for 6-9 days beginning of march. We felt better for a week then got some kind of sinus crap from h*ll! Ears full of fluids with pain and ringing. Dizziness, sinus pressure but no mucus really. Pain in our neck..hurts to turn head sometimes and headaches. We’ve now had it for over a month :-( sick and tired of being sick and tired

May 9, 2013 at 9:38 pm
(46) emily says:

I’ve had this cold since decemeber now, blocked nose, constant chesty cough, sneezing and because of it all I can’t breathe properly so sleep isn’t coming easily for me. Been to the doctors but they don’t know what it is, so if anyone has any ideas.let us know please – can’t deal with being stuck like this for much longer.

May 10, 2013 at 11:40 am
(47) Luisa says:

I started with swollow glands, dry sore throat and some body aches over 2 weeks ago, which led to dry cough, then wet bronchial cough for almost 2 weeks. No fever, just headache and wet cough to this point. Then a wicked sinus cold with plugged sinuses and ears for 6 days – I can’t taste or smell, which really sucks. It’s been 22 days to this point, and still have cough and plugged sinuses… I eat quite healthy and never had the flu before, nor do I get the flu shot. I steam my head daily, use saline neti pot, and drink lots of herbal teas and soups, but this flu does not want to budge

May 13, 2013 at 8:29 am
(48) Crystal says:

My daughter is on day 8 of the flu. Morning 1-woke up feeling dizzy, looked at breakfast and couldn’t eat. Rest of the day-lethargic, achy, feeling stuffy. Fever 100.2. Day 2-fever in the upper 101s, achy, no appetite still. Day 3-more like day 1. At this point had still only eaten a bagel and some cheese and crackers, but no vomiting. Day 4-No fever during the day-like someone else mentioned, we thought was on the mend. Sore throat. Fever started again that night. Day 5-coughing started. Visited Dr. No help. Day 6-8. Fever has stayed between 99.5 and 100.7. Well see when it ends. I understand there’s a 10 day flu going around?

May 13, 2013 at 6:29 pm
(49) Justine says:

UK.

Im on day 15, feeling better but still got a strong cough its more of a tickly cough now but its worse on a night and in a morning where I get to the point I cant breath but through the day the only thing thay sets it off is by laughing or coughing because you feel you need to, hope this helps.

May 14, 2013 at 11:32 am
(50) dee says:

I am on day 15, started with a sore throat when I woke, then other symptoms came as the day wore on. Horrible aching which I don’t remember having with a cold. Croupy cough, runny nose. The worst of it last 10 days but still coughing now and am so tired I don’t want to do anything. Thank you all so much for sharing. I was beginning to think I had something seriously wrong. No sign of infection just so tired. I hope I am healing and my body just needs rest.

May 16, 2013 at 11:10 am
(51) Rochelle says:

Not sure what I have yet, just letting it run its course but I’m on day 7.
1-5 day I lost my voice, a lot of coughing, sneezing, body aches, stuffy nose and cannot sleep.

Day 7 my symptoms are fever, headache, sinuses, running nose, throwing up, a lot of coughing, food/drinks tasting different, stuffy nose, appetites lost, still lost my voice, sneezing, body aches and cannot sleep (can only sleep 4-6 hrs a day with taking night quail, sleeping tea etc)

May 18, 2013 at 1:32 pm
(52) larena says:

Ugh I am on day 14, contracted the virus very late in the season, had my flu shot last october, obviously a different strain. I had all the symptoms, fever, bodyaches, headache, chills, sweats, no energy whatsoever. By day 6 I just had the congestion, low energy and no voice left and thsts how I still am on day 14. Went to the doctor and he gave me antibiotics on day 10 but i notice no difference. My throat is still sore on and off every day and I haven’t had a voice in 13 days. Still feel crappy every time I push myself. Hope it ends soon :(

May 19, 2013 at 8:24 am
(53) Frank says:

Me and my family are on day 10 of this germ. Our fevers lasted about 3-4 days, body aches, sore throat, and very badly clogged ears. All 3 of us went to the Dr. For the fluid in our ears and we were each prescribed antibiotics. I’m now on day 10 and my ears are still clogged and ringing. I have a runny nose and a dirty cough. I’m still feeling very tired, oh and my sore throat went away and came back on day 9 This flu is never ending. On day 3 my mucas was so thick I could barley swollow it. Halls really helped, as did lemon and honey in hot water. My sons on day 13 and his nose is still running badly.

June 11, 2013 at 12:08 pm
(54) Vi says:

Thank you all for your comments and detail. I came down with this bug last Monday. Headache, sore throat, laryngitis, sinus congestion, no fever, Reduced my normal activities, thinking it would be mild. Wrong. By day 4 everything a struggle,fever over 101 in evening. For me the worst was sinus head pain Days 4-5, slept with my head and shoulders propped up to encourage drainage. Hot showers to relieve sinus pressure before going to sleep. Hot fluids,aspirin for fever, NyQuil at night and throat lozenges to relieve symptoms. Day 8 feeling a bit better, no significant fever, but darn throat tickle resulting in periodic rough coughing spells. As others have said, low energy is major symptom. Day 9 breathing fine, little congestion but still feeling sick, basically very low energy. Goal is to go out tomorrow to a meeting, WOO HOO!

June 12, 2013 at 4:32 pm
(55) Ktina says:

I’m going on day 8 of this wonderful Flu virus. It started with horrible chills and a fever ranging from 100 to 103 for three days. On day 2 I went to the Dr and she gave me a Z Pak antibiotic thinking it was bronchitis. The antibiotics did nothing, which indicated to me I have the Flu and just have to wait it out. But the lethargy, fatigue, and weakness I’m still feeling on day 8 is unreal. I’m constantly giving myself ‘pep talks’ to not freak out! In addition, I have a huge dry cough that’s making my entire respiratory tract hurt constantly. I’m so tired that all I can do is lay in bed all day. Yesterday I got fed up and tried to do just basic household chores, but this only sent my coughing and chest pain to another level and today I feel worse. Either this virus is really dragging on or I have something called “Post Viral Fatigue”. Whatever is going on, all I do know is that this is no way to start off my first week of summer vacation :(

July 6, 2013 at 6:52 am
(56) scott ritchie says:

Well I’m in Asia and have been hit by the flu last week. My luck had it I was in Japan to do an interview and the night before the interview started to sneeze like crazy. The next day I woke up feeling dizzy and weak. I managed to get through the interview day but by the end was getting significantly worse. Well the next two days where brutal, had high fever and a horrible headache. Could not sleep for almost three nights and had to cancel a medical appointment and re-schedule. After the fever broke I was left with a cough and pain in my lungs followed by coughing up grey greenish flem. Still my chest is congested but slowly and I mean slowly getting better. Also my head was stuffed up very bad and could not clear my sinuses. In the last two months I have been sick on and off and was really starting to worry thinking something else is underlying. Seems after reading the comments here I’m not alone.

July 9, 2013 at 2:45 pm
(57) Karen says:

My flu symptoms started with my hips aching to fever with chills back on June 3rd for 1.5 week’s…it has been over a month and the symptoms still linger….hoarseness, coughing, congestion, sneezing, wheezing. After several weeks finally spoke with my physician I was placed on Prednisone because the wheezing was so bad it was as if I had asthma. I am now being treated for this with Albueterol…

Note to self…get the flu shot.

July 10, 2013 at 3:33 pm
(58) Cane says:

Day. 3 102.7 1st day,felt better day2 but coughed a lot.Day,back to feeling like crap and lungs hurt.
Taking mucinex and delays

July 13, 2013 at 9:19 am
(59) R.L. says:

On day 12 of this, started like a cold, day 5 had a fever for day and a half and have had a terrible cough for the past 6 days. Still coughing and wheezing. This is a terrible bug.

July 16, 2013 at 5:04 am
(60) darren says:

When will this arrive in Australia,?

July 18, 2013 at 1:21 am
(61) mickey says:

ok It has been the 3rd nite, the nite is the just plan hell.. i have taking s pills of ibuprofen. and altered to acetaminphen too. so just how bloody long will this crap stop.. I am 52.. Funny I can eat drink OK.. but it goes to hell about 9pm?

Cheers’

Mickey

July 18th 2013

July 18, 2013 at 5:51 pm
(62) Julie says:

Day 1 – I noticed a tickle in my throat which became unbearable to swallow. Adding to that, we were on a road trip and I had the headache of my life and slept the whole 8 hours. That night, I threw up and had cold sweats. I felt like I had been hit by a train!

I am now on day 11 and I threw up again (all mucas). In addition, I have been coughing up mucas daily. While the headache left and I never really had a fever, the body ache has not subsided and I have a constant cough with mucas.

I also believe I have the UTI as I have been urinating every 30 minutes as well.

I am not on any antibiotics because my insurance was just discontinued. So, I am having to just eliminate sugar, drink lots of water and hope it runs its course. Most miserable flew I have ever experienced!

July 20, 2013 at 10:47 am
(63) R.L. says:

Now on day 17 of the most miserable flu/cold I think I’ve ever had. I’ve had so much mucus and a terrible Hobo cough for the past week! the cough is a bit better but the mucus is unbelievable! I blow and blow and there is always more. Still achy,was at the doctors 5 days ago, said my lungs were clear but the cough was really nasty sounding. This really is a scary bug!

August 24, 2013 at 5:38 pm
(64) marilyn says:

I first got sick around August 1–First day it felt like a cold but I slept for the next two days–not a real high fever but just exhausted. Third day I felt a bit better and went for a bike ride–That night I could not sleep for a dry hacking cough. The following day I also hacked all day and the next day went for acupuncture and traditional Chinese medicine–to help with both cough suppression and opening up bronchial tube.s Three weeks later, symptoms come and go–not as bad as at beginning but I feel tired a lot. Sore throat came back and then left again–any exercise worsen’s symptoms so am taking it very easy and hoping to beat this thing befofre I return to work next week. Great Holiday! I am 62, but very fit and have not been this sick with a flu since I was 17.

September 26, 2013 at 6:07 am
(65) Kim says:

My 12 yr old tested positive for type A flu. We are on day 10 with fever with this terrible flu! Dr twice checked blood and WBC RBC and platelets all normal. Lungs are clear. Is fever this long normal with the flu???

October 2, 2013 at 6:45 pm
(66) Natalia navas says:

This has been the third time this year first thanksgiving then early February now my bday week Ok Tuesday morning I woke up with terrible migraine sore throat and couldn’t tell if I had a fever the next day was my thirteenth birthday and I was flying to NYC couldn’t wait although i felt terrible I didn’t go to my first three classes but my mom said she would have to postpone the trip if I felt bad so I faked it then my mom dropped me off and went to work feeling horrible the rest of the day when I got home where I was alone other than my sisters went straight to bed and slept when I woke up my grandma came over to take care of me and I was at 103.7 it just changed we ended up in the ER and they said it was to early to tell what I had but it was probably flu again she said with the sore throat fever the symptoms just add up so I woke up worse and it keeps getting worse it is always on the worst possible days btw on the other times I had it this year it lasted about 7-9 days worst bday ever

October 9, 2013 at 9:39 am
(67) Christina says:

First my 14 year old son came down with flu-like symptoms 2 weeks ago. He stayed home Wed., Thurs., Fri. then also had the weekend to recover. He was back to school on the Monday. Then, my 16 year old and myself came down ill. Today will be the 9th day of school missed for my daughter, and the 10th day of my own illness. We both are extremely achey, heavy congestion, unrelenting headache, fever and chills off and on and extreme exhaustion (of course, neither of us are sleeping well, which adds to the fatigue). My daughter has more of a cough than I do. We’ve both been in to see a doctor – my daughter was prescribed amoxicillan for what appears to be a throat infection, and I am on two different antibiotics, one for a sinus infection and a different antibiotic drops for a secondary eye infection. The congestion and pressure in the sinuses is so bad that my eyes are literally weeping all the time, and that has resulted in the eyes becoming infected. Worst and longest stretch of illness I can recall. Hope we see some improvement very soon.

October 12, 2013 at 2:30 pm
(68) Nicholas says:

I’m a 21 year old college student and the flu seems to be going around my school. I’m on day 5 of a fever between 100 and 101 and crazy body aches. I can honestly say that this has been the worst sickness experience I’ve had. Ibuprofen seems to do the trick for a couple of hours but afterwards I’m back to square one. Really bad cough too. Hopefully it goes away soon!

October 20, 2013 at 9:03 am
(69) Bianca says:

I am a 17 year old college student and deeply regret not getting the flu shot. Last night it started off with a sore throat and I woke up this morning with my ears both hurting. I went to the drs and he prescribed me an antibiotic- ery pill and advised me to gargle and take Tylenol. I’ve been feeling dizzy, weak, congested, wanting to vomit, and my stomach won’t let me sleep. I feel horrible and I can’t sleep I woke up at 4:30am today and still haven’t been able to fall back asleep and it’s 6:02am. I’m very tired and just want to sleep. Ugh.

October 21, 2013 at 9:36 am
(70) Darlene Kuhn says:

My experience with the 2013 flu:
came on fast
started with bad sore throat that kept me up the first nigt
serious chills
congested head
SEVERE HEADACHE that would not go away night and day for 2 days. Eyes felt tremendous pressure. Could only lay with eyes closed, for 2 days.
very achy
no appetite for 2 days
chest pressure has started after 2 days

It was helpful to find this website and know that this was similar to others.

October 25, 2013 at 8:53 am
(71) Joshua says:

I was diagnosed with a strain of the flu (not A or B) virus on Wednesday. It is now Friday and I feel like a hot mess. On Tues night, I went to bed with a sore throat (figured I could sleep it off). Woke up on Wednesday congested. I went and got Dayquil Severe and it didn’t do anything. Shortly around noon on Wednesday, I started getting very weak, cold and chills. By the time I got home from work on Wednesday, I had a fever. That night was the worse body aches ever. I begin tylenol and water treatment as the DR said no meds would help. Just take Tylenol to keep fever down. Felt fairly well on Thursday, still lethargic. This morning (Day 2), I am dizzy, very weak and insides feel like they are boiling hot (but no fever).

Unfortunately, my wife is starting with a sore throat. Just praying that she does not get this mess. I’m 25 and never had the flu… The saying that you feel like you have been hit by a truck is so accurate. I wouldn’t wish this on anyone either.

October 30, 2013 at 10:37 pm
(72) Kennedy says:

I think I have the flu, the first day of this awful sickness I was at school and got a head ache and a sore throat this was around 1:30 in the after noon, the next day I had a huge pounding head ache and extremely sore throat along with a stomach ache and a steady temperature of 98.9, today is the third day… I just took my temperature and have a fever of 102.3 and a worse head ache with nausea and a puek-ish feeling in my stomach and I have lost my voice due to my sore throat, can someone please tell me what’s going on? Please post a comment on weather or not I have the flu, thanks

November 11, 2013 at 10:10 pm
(73) Geenie says:

I am on day two of this. Yesterday I started with aches then chills and the runs. Then my fever went from 99.4 to 100.4 today. I still can’t eat much and I feel nauseated. I have a dry cough and feel extremely weak and achy. My eyes have started to hurt. I have been in bed all day! I have the temp down for the moment but I took ibuprofen. I didn’t sleep at all last night was up with the sweats and chills. This is horrible!

November 20, 2013 at 3:13 pm
(74) Tina says:

Started off typical; runny nose, headache, cough, achy, weak, tired. Quickly turned into a cough that, while producing nothing, was more than I could bear. My husband threatened 911 to me during a coughing fit. Dr. said flu, and this year it is kicking off bronchitis really bad. So, 3 weeks later……..after steroid, inhalers, nose sprays, antibiotics, mucinex and cough syrup for night time I am much better. Still wheezing and have a blocked ear but feel better. The bronchial stuff is the worst, felt like I had horrible asthma. Not gone yet, but going. Dr. said this is typical this year. :(

December 7, 2013 at 3:11 pm
(75) Garrett Torao Sakuma says:

On Wednesday started off with achy body in the afternoon and I knew I had a slight fever. Already on ibuprofen because of a pinched nerve in my neck and an existing lower backpain. Checked when I got home to confirm a 99.5. I took 2 ibuprofen and went to bed. I woke up at 1am to a 101 temp, then at 2am with a102.7 I took 2 more ibuprofen before I went back to sleep at 3am with a 103.2 temp. I woke up at 4:30 with a 101 and stayed up till 7:30am before going back to bed and waking up to a 103 again. Went to the doctors and got antibiotics and cough medicine as I started to get a chronic cough as well. Roller coaster ride all day Thursday. I wake up Friday fever free but to only have it come back except not as high averaging 100-101all day and night. Saturday my back tingles, fever gone but chest congestion is chronic, and achy all over. 10 am
and still waiting for this to pass.

December 25, 2013 at 1:48 pm
(76) Denean says:

Well I have never had the flu, I am 42 yrs old. today is the 5th day, first 2 days i felt like i was dragged on a dirt road behind a truck, body ached to the bottom of my feet. by the 3rd day i started coughing, that has gotten worse, nothing comes up just a dry cough that i feel like my ribs are broken. and today diarrhea. so to say this is the worst crap i have ever met and thank you flu, but i don’t care to ever meet with you again.

December 28, 2013 at 12:03 am
(77) kelly says:

Came down with the flu Christmas Eve. Was up all night with what seemed like acid reflex which I never suffer from. It was excruciating. Next morning I had a sore throat followed by the feeling I needed to throw up all day. Christmas was greeted with the runs. Haven’t been able to keep food down nor do I have the desire to eat. Three days later and I feel no better. Worst holiday ever!

December 29, 2013 at 7:53 pm
(78) Todd says:

I had a flu shot in November, it’s Dec 29th, I have the flu and so
does the wife, kid…It’s bad. I am on day 4 and I keep falling asleep
even when I just get up to use the toilet. It’s aches, headache, did I say body pain? My throat hurts, the cough is terrible, I have a fever. Keep going from shaking chills to breaks out in sweats kind of thing. My head
feels like it’s in outter space, did I mention that every muscle is stiff or that I feel like a car hit me going 40 mph? This makes no sense since we
all got flu shots at the doctor office. My kid has an earache on top of this.
I am drinking warm steamy broth and hot water to try to feel better. I am now taking theraflu since yesterday. My neck is so stiff..

January 13, 2014 at 8:46 pm
(79) Vanessa says:

Noticed a little sneezing and coughf..ing about a week ago ,nothing heavy.MY body imediately lets me know when I come in contact with someone who has been sick . like a fluttery sensation.I feel it in my stomach. For days I have been taking a mixture of golden seal ,turmeric ,ginger and yellow dock root. It is bitter ,you can sweeten it with sugar I mix with hot water and I just measure a portion of the powders with the handle end of a spoon.. Drink a coffee cup size. Tumeric and golden seal are natural antibiotics. sometimes I add a little cayenne pepper It works. Also wine is a better deturant than pepto bismol for upset stomach. Fewerfew tea is as good as its name implies.