1. Health

Most everyone has seen the commercial for Airborne tablets. The ad says Airborne was "developed by a school teacher" and helps prevent you from getting sick. In reality, it is a formula that consists of a variety of vitamins and herbs that have possible immune boosting properties. It contains a large amount of Vitamin C, Echinacea and Zinc. All of these have, at one time, been thought to have the ability to boost immunity and prevent the common cold.

I have never used Airborne, but it is a very popular herbal remedy. Taken in moderation, even if it doesn't help, it shouldn't hurt. I would be very interested to know if others have tried Airborne and what kind of results you have had. Feel free to share!

Comments
December 19, 2006 at 8:29 am
(1) Karen says:

I’ve taken Airborne since it first came on the market and I haven’t gotten sick yet. I especially take it throughout the winter months when everyone around me is getting the colds and flu’s (not so much during the summer unless I feel my resistence is low because of stress, etc.). I also take it before I go out shopping or when I’ll be around a lot of people. I highly recommend it to everyone and do.

December 19, 2006 at 8:49 am
(2) WB says:

There is a FREE, natural way proven by research to reduce your risks of colds and flu – frequent handwashing. Just suds with comfortably warm water and soap for as long as it takes you to hum the “ABC Song.”

And for vitamin C – eat an orange a day, you will get more good enzymes, etc. than just the vitamin C.

OH, and break yourself of habits that have you touching your face and mouth, which increases the likelihood of transmitting other people’s viruses into your system. My biology professor enforced this with us in his class in college. It suited me well for my first professional job in a microbiology lab.

I often go for over a year or two without getting a cold, whereas until college I could count on one every 3 months.

December 19, 2006 at 9:36 am
(3) Sandy says:

I’ve used Airborne for quite a long time and I think it really helps. We’ve not had a cold and/or the flu since we started using it. We always take it in the airport before we board a plane to fly somewhere. That’s especially good to do now with folks coughing and hacking during the flight, spreading those little air-born germs about the confined air space in a plane.

December 19, 2006 at 10:14 am
(4) Mary says:

We used airborne on our flight from Dulles to Capetown……No one got sick, although there was plenty of sneezing and coughing around us.
May be all in my head, but I take them when I am exposed to family colds, etc., and I never get sick.
Mary
Mary

December 19, 2006 at 10:58 am
(5) Marion says:

I’ve been taking Airborne for over a year now and have not gotten sick. Since I suffer from allergies and sinus problems, I am very susceptible to colds and viruses. Prior to taking Airborne, I caught at least 4 very bad bugs per year that lingered on sometimes for months.

Before I get around people when shopping or at the onset of sniffles, I take Airborne. Since the middle of November, I have been taking one tablet about every few days or so. It works for me!

December 19, 2006 at 11:24 am
(6) Blissfulbeader says:

I haven’t taken it myself, but several friends have and it seems NOT to help them because they still get sick.
We use Zicam and swear it works if you start it at the first clue that you’re feeling lousy and might be coming down with something…or as a precaution if you KNOW you were exposed to a contagious cold or flu.
The Zicam goes in your nose and kills the bacteria where they reproduce…so it’s like birth control for the bacteria, and we use it freely and haven’t had colds in years…and my husband works on the computers in 3 schools…so you know what he comes in contact with on a daily basis!!! He used to average 2 colds per winter until we got Zicam and now he hasn’t had 2 colds in the last 3 years.
It’s a super high dose of zinc that wouldn’t be tolerated orally, but works great in the nostrils.
We each have the gel pump and the people I’ve told about it have raved about it too. Several of them used to use Airborne with no results.
:) m

December 19, 2006 at 11:28 am
(7) sally bugg says:

I HAVE BEEN USEING AIRBORNE FOR 2 YEARS, I HAVE ASTHMA,USED TO GET BRONCHITIS OFTEN, NOW I AM NEVER ILL, EVEN CONVINCED MY DAUGHTER, SHE FLIES TO EUROPE OFTEN , USED TO COME HOME SICK , BUT NO MORE , PRAISE FOR AIRBORNE

December 19, 2006 at 11:28 am
(8) Blissfulbeader says:

I forgot to mention….I just read the results of a study saying that vitamin D might be very helpful in reducing the number of colds and flu during the season when days are short and people are not getting enough vitamin D fron the sun. They tested people’s levels, and in the winter, the levels are way too low. It might help more to take 400+ units of vitamin D along with the extra C!

December 19, 2006 at 12:03 pm
(9) Linda says:

I haven’t used Airborne, but I too, use Zicam (they have both an alergy and a cold remedy) — I swear by it too. Also, I believe that zinc slows or stops a cold if you take it early enough. I believe both Zicam and Airborne have Zinc. Zinc boosts your immune system. Try it — as you can see, I’m sold.

December 19, 2006 at 12:04 pm
(10) Nancy Groves says:

I have wanted to try Airborne but I was not sure if it would help or not. After reading the comments, I certainly am going to get some and keep it around always. Thanks everyone. I have COPD so I have to be really careful of bugs.

December 19, 2006 at 12:17 pm
(11) Leland Lover says:

Using Airborne right now. I felt a cold coming on yesterday and started using Airborne right away. Got a good meal and a good night’s sleep last night – today I feel great. I have followed this routine for several years and it works like a charm if you start using it at the first symptom. I work in a college with lots of student contact so my exposure is constant. My Dad was a doctor and he would say this is voodoo but the worst thing it could do is enrich the sewer system! Dad was also a great pragmatist and would try it himself and find it effective.

December 19, 2006 at 3:09 pm
(12) Brian Golenberg says:

I swear by Airborne…I take Airborne as a supplement every day!!!!lots of C,Zinc!This stuff WORKS!!!!

December 19, 2006 at 3:30 pm
(13) sally says:

I have used airborne for the last several years and I have not gotten full-blown sick. When I start feeling like something is coming on, I take airborne every three hours for the first day, and by the next day I am feeling great! I know it is working to kill the virus or bacteria. It has stopped sore throats and bad colds for me and my husband all the time. We keep some on hand at all times. The key is to start taking it right away when you feel like you are getting sick. We recently took it prior to flying and our friends who flew with us got sick when they came home and we didn’t! I totally believe that the stuff boosts your immune system.

December 19, 2006 at 8:58 pm
(14) Wanda Anastasio says:

I am a child care provider and care for very young children. They cough and sneeze in my face. They rub their runny noses on me as well as on their own hands (and touch me). No amount of handwashing will take care of these problems. I started taking Airborne this year. I take it when I first feel I may be getting a cold. Once, I didn’t take it until the next morning. It has prevented colds and reduced the severity of the one I got when I waited to take the Airborne. It has become an integral part of my medicine cabinet.

December 26, 2006 at 4:58 pm
(15) Kat Jensen says:

I am not totally sure of this as a fact however, I asked about Airborne when I had a recent visit to my family DR. I was told that is is more of an anti viral with vitamins and herbs. He told me it was most effective if you feel the flu coming on because it helps fight the flu virus.

January 30, 2007 at 2:57 pm
(16) ana says:

Airborne WORKS! I have used Airborne for 2 years. I travel frequently and have been in areas where flu nd respitory illness was high.
While those arond me wer egetting sick, I was not.
I’m sure it’s not a “cure-all’, but definitely helsp with immune system.
Highly recommend.

May 4, 2007 at 12:50 pm
(17) Doreen Quimby says:

I have been taking Airborne for 2 1/2 years now. I have not had the cold or flu since that date. I have a problem with getting bronchitis when I catch a cold, which is typically 2 to 3 times a year. I have had very small cold symptoms when my kids were sick, then it goes away after a day or so. It is very interesting but, it is not the uniqueness of the vitamin c, but the delivery technique. I have taken vitamin c for years but not with the same results as with Airborne. The immediate absorption of the vitamin via liquid tablet is the key to its success. I did an experiment in my own home. My 19 year old son has been taking Ester C (1000 mg) for a year now and he still gets sick. I have also found that my skin is a bit tighter and it heals quicker after a cut or scrape. Maybe itís coincidental, maybe itís not.

October 28, 2007 at 12:05 am
(18) Amberlyn says:

love airborne….sounds cliche, but i too swear by it and it’s effectiveness. If it has kept ME from getting sick, it will keep anybody from getting sick. I still remember the one time (out of many) I was at the dr.’s office and the dr. asked as he walked in “so how can I help you” and I said “i’ll take a new immune system please” he laughed, but I was actually very serious. Wel, airborne….thanks to you, my wish came true :)

November 2, 2007 at 2:40 pm
(19) Ron says:

My family always has Airbourne tablets in the hall cabnet. We feel it is a boon to us all and recommend it to our friends and co-workers!

December 5, 2007 at 2:44 pm
(20) T. Goudeau says:

Actually, there’s no evidence to support the idea that Airborne prevents colds, and very little credible evidence that it reduces symptoms, either. Check out the following article in Scientific American: Airborne Baloney.I don’t mean to be unfriendly–I know a lot of people above have recommended the stuff. But personal anecdotes aren’t a good way to determine whether a treatment really works. Coincidence and observational bias (people expect the stuff to work, so they notice and remember when it they happen not to get sick and credit the treatment and forget or discount when they do, essentially) make individual experiences prone to error. Controlled trials (experiments) are the only really reliable way to determine whether a treatment works. No such trials have shown that Airborne prevents colds.On the other hands, if you take Airborne every three hours, you’ll definitely be taking overdoses of Vitamins A and C, and trials have definitely shown that such overdoses are associated with sickness, like nausea and diarrhea. Remember, Airborne’s not actually medicine–it’s just a “nutritional supplement”–and it hasn’t been proven to treat any illness (it says so right on the box!). Do what some of the other posters above have recommended–eat oranges, wash your hands frequently, and avoid rubbing your face or eyes after being around sick people–and save your money.

April 10, 2008 at 11:07 am
(21) Megan says:

Not that this ways in on if it works, but recently spilled some of the airborne water on my pants while sitting in an airport terminal, and was shocked to see my pants immediately lighten as if being bleached. I have since washed the pants and the lightened spot is permanent.

July 28, 2009 at 7:23 pm
(22) Terry Crowley says:

In fact, you CAN prevent a cold with airborne…that is, if you BELIEVE you can.

The power of self actualization is the greatest medicine known to mankind, and it is free!

See here for details abotu airborne and the human mind (+bonus info about the soul):

You are welcome!

September 18, 2009 at 11:29 am
(23) keith says:

Airborn does not work. It is snake oil. You are paying 10 times the price for an all natural vitamin. They were nailed by abc in 2006 for essentially falsifying their one study. Zicam does not work, unless you mean the nasal which is proven to work and to kill your sense of smell hence the product recall ordered by the FDA. Cold Eeze is the only zinc based cold cure that is proven to work

January 6, 2010 at 6:25 am
(24) Doug says:

I have taken Airborne as needed to prevent colds for several years now and have been thrilled with the result. However, after having taken it twice a day for about a week straight as I was traveling, I started having severe cramping and diarrhea. My doctor thought it was traveler’s diarrhea and gave an antibiotic. Since then I have taken Airborne periodically and the diarrhea has returned every time with stomach pain in the exact location. I don’t know if the Airborne tablets are the cause or if they are triggering a different problem, but I’m going to layoff the Airborne for a while.

February 26, 2010 at 9:04 am
(25) Eckley says:

I know it’s easy to be skeptical about medical claims from natural resources, but I swear by it. When I feel a cold or flu coming on, I start taking it – twice a day. Usually, the symptoms simply go away with days. . . GREAT stuff.

June 24, 2011 at 10:56 am
(26) Erin says:

Something to be said about the zinc nasal sprays is that there is evidence to suggest that it could have damaging effects to your sense of smell. I would only take zinc orally to be safe.

May 1, 2012 at 5:42 pm
(27) Eric says:

I’ll just add myself to the list of those who say: “I don’t care if the scientific studies say otherwise, as far as I’m concerned this stuff works for me. It’s probably been five years since I had a full-on cold, and that’s how long I’ve been taking Airborne at the first sign of a cold coming on.

Also, it is about the greatest pick-me-up on those mornings when you wake up and just feel listless and without energy.

Who knows, maybe some of us just respond to the quick infusion of vitamins and minerals more readily than others. Those of us who use and rely on Airborne are probably pretty lucky. I wish it worked for everyone.

January 4, 2013 at 1:00 pm
(28) Mary says:

I yrs ago tried airborne and was surprised how well it works. I use it when. Ever I need it.
And I have told many mant people about it, or have given them one when come to my house and they were very surprised about how fast it worked and how well.
It’s very very good.